• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing Manual Transmission into M1009

lilymonster

I have been wanting to install a manual trans into my M1009 blazer for a while. I think its finally time. QUESTION: What widely/cheaply available 5-SPEED manual transmission would be best or easiest to use? I believe the old Muncie 4-speed manuals that were in many GM trucks from the 1980's would bolt right up, but I would much prefer a 5-speed. Anyone have any ideas on this? What all would be involved in swapping in a 5-speed manual? Would I need a different transfer case too? What would the easiest option to achieve my goal of have a 5-speed manual in my M1009. Thanks!!!!

Atwater

cheaply is not likely to happen unless you are really good at finding deals. the 4spd would be considerably cheaper. with the stock gearing on an m1009 an overdrive is not that critical.
for a 5 speed i personally would recomend a pre 96 chevy nv4500. the pre 96 seems to be cheaper and would use the external slave cylinder.
to do the swap you will also need a set of hydraulic clutch pedals, master/slave cylinders. the nv4500 is close enough in length to the th400 that you should not need new driveshafts. the np208 case will bolt up. i would recomend moving back the tcase shifter about 1 1/2" to gain clearance for the shifter boots.
do a search or two. the subject has been discussed a few times before on here. that being said if you cant find an answer dont be afraid to ask.:beer:

i am just about done doing the swap on a m1008:driver:.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks