• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing new M52 Exhaust pipe

dfanders

Folks,

Installed all new exhaust system (from header to tail pipe) on a 1957 M52 gas engine. Had bought all the parts from memphis equipment ( thanks Roy !) and had the time to do it. The old system had 1 bolt missing in the header , and the tail pipe past the muffler was rusted off, and hanging on the braket attached to the rear fender. Removal went quick- once we started cutting the old rusted bolts. We had drill out the 4 studs from the exhaust manifold, as they where rusted in place. Once drilled out, they got repalced by new grade 8 hardware ( Nut, bolt, washer). The rest of the system went in quick. Nice to work under a 5 ton and be able to sit up when bolting the muffler!

Here is the issue - The new pipe that goes from the back of the muffler and bolts in front of the rear fender does not fit. It is supposed to direct the exhaust out to the passenger side of the truck. It could be the new muffler is differant (see pics below) or the bend in the pipe is wrong? We just installed the tailpipe off the muffler and now it directs the exhaust down about straight with the front of the two rear tires. Anyone see any issue with doing it this way?
If anyone has done this on a 5 ton gasser let me know how yours worked out?

Attachments

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not had to install a set, so I cannot comment that way. Looking at the pictures, about everything looks longer. Is it possible the set was for a long wheelbase truck? We exhaust many trucks down toward the ground from the muffler with no problems, just so it is not blowing on the rear axle, creating a lot of heat in it. The only thing is if you drive on a lot of dusty roads or lanes, it will kick up a lot of dust.
Regards Marti

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you put "Never Sieze" on that grade 8 hardware. Then maybe they won't have to be drilled out the next time.

Lee in Alaska

m139h2otruck

We installed a full 4" Walker big truck muffler on the M139 and just used a 4" down turn pipe directly out the back. It does kick up a lot of dust, but that is what the water spray heads are for. Also, going down the road, from a chase car it looks like we have a jet turbine under the tank!! Lots and lots of heat and part burnt gas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks