• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting article on HMMWV recapitalization

topgun217

Well, the military is currently getting rid of all the 6.2L hmmwv's and replacing them with the 6.5L engines/duramax if my source has told me correctly. If you ever happen to drive by or into a few of the DRMO lots, just look at all the hmmwv's they have sitting there. Granted most will be given to LEA's which is a good thing. Sad part is though, we (the steel soldiers) will probably never ever be able to get our hands on any of them unless there is a big change in policy.

Wile E. Coyote

Haha...yes...it's the JTRS curse alright. If two people in the boardroom can get something hashed out and accomplished then surely 82 in the same boardroom will get it accomplished even faster! No wonder stuff enters the supply chain just in time for its own obsolescence...

Army Ed

we are sending out all of the older M998's for rebuild. everything will have the 4spd and 6.5's in em..well in time....takes the Army forever to do anything..lol

jwaller

we are sending out all of the older M998's for rebuild. everything will have the 4spd and 6.5's in em..well in time....takes the Army forever to do anything..lol
Not in SC. We are sending them all to the shredder. We can't give them away in FMS and very few are getting out to the FD's and PD's. Once they get them they quickly figure out they can't work on them or afford them so they get sent back to be crushed.

Even all the 1114's and 1113's are going away. If it's not a 1151 or 1165 it's getting sent to the crusher.

Army Ed

im telling you lol,i work for the department of the Army..we just got a Email from the Pentagon going to USARC and DOA requesting more for the TACOM rebuild

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at Ft Sam Monday picking up a MEP0002 and this is the first time I've ever seen any HMMWVs on the DRMO lot. They had about 2 dozen sitting there.

For those wondering about the JLTVs mentioned in the article here are a few of the prototypes the bids brought in:

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was at Ft Sam Monday picking up a MEP0002 and this is the first time I've ever seen any HMMWVs on the DRMO lot. They had about 2 dozen sitting there.

For those wondering about the JLTVs mentioned in the article here are a few of the prototypes the bids brought in:
The BAE prototype looks like a 1980's Monte Carlo on a HMMWV chassis :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks