• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interior area of M998 / M1038 for paint or bedliner?

Gear Report

What is the interior surface area of the 998/1038 trucks?
An upcoming review on Gear Report will be application of a sound control and ceramic insulation coatings on the entire interior. The manufacturer asked "Please measure the application area we want to completely encapsulate the entire interior, then I'll know how much product to send."

I can spend a few hours with the tape measure and spreadsheet hurting my brain (math and I don't get along), but I figure some of you fine folks have already done this sort of thing with bedliner, paint, etc and already have the measurements.
... I hope.
:p

ryanruck

Can't give you a square footage number but I can tell you my truck tub took 4 gallons each of Lizard Skin Sound Insulation and Ceramic Insulation. That will give you a hair over 3 full coats front to back, including the tailgate. That same amount of Ceramic Insulation will give you a full 2 coats in the tub and enough to put down a 3rd in the passenger area.

That was topped with Monstaliner in Green 383 color which took 3 gallons. Monstaliner said 2 would be enough but it was nowhere near. Took 3 full gallons to put down 2 full coats.

Hope that helps!

donquijote

ryanruck.. how quiet is your rig using all that? did you ever take a before/after decible reading?

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

ryanruck

Sorry, no actual decibel readings.

It does reduce the engine and road sound a bit but you really see the best results in the elimination of panel resonance and panel joint noise so it doesn't sound like you're riding around in a metal garbage can.

Here's some before and after video I took that show the fairly dramatic reduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBGARKXE3rI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywt26Qxef54

I've gotten some really good results in noise dampening using heavy rubber horse stall mats cut to shape. Picked them up at Tractor Supply after a recommendation. Plus, even though the Monstaliner is a tough top coat, it can be a bit slick and things slide around on it. No more sliding with the stall mats! The mats also have channels molded into the underside so you don't really have to worry about them trapping water. A single 4'x6' mat is $40. I got 2 for the truck and had some left over. Caution! They weigh about 100lbs a piece and are very awkward!

IMG_2369_zpsxniztyjn.jpg IMG_2368_zpswmajmyd4.jpg IMG_2370_zpsdidpxvq5.jpg

Last edited:

donquijote

great setup. thx for the videos also. im about to line some areas with spectrum sludge and some extra dampening as well. always like seeing what others do!

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Gear Report

Can't give you a square footage number but I can tell you my truck tub took 4 gallons each of Lizard Skin Sound Insulation and Ceramic Insulation. That will give you a hair over 3 full coats front to back, including the tailgate. That same amount of Ceramic Insulation will give you a full 2 coats in the tub and enough to put down a 3rd in the passenger area.
That was topped with Monstaliner in Green 383 color which took 3 gallons. Monstaliner said 2 would be enough but it was nowhere near. Took 3 full gallons to put down 2 full coats.Hope that helps!
Thanks. It does. I'll see if this is enough info for them, or if I have to actually measure it. :)

BTW, one concern the brand guy mentioned to me was that bedliner will still off-gas toxic stuff long after it is cured when exposed to heat. I initially thought I would do sound deadening first, then top coat with bed liner, but am now concerned about how much heat comes through the HMMWV body... generating toxic stuff in the passenger area.

jake-cutter

I also went with Lizard Skin and Monstaliner. The Sound Insulation goes a lot further than the Ceramic. You can get two good coats of the Sound Insulation with 3 gallons or as Ryan said 4 gallons gets you 3 plus coats. Monstaliner will make military colors to match the CARC paint you just have to call them. I sprayed the Lizard Skin and Monstaliner with the same gun that Lizard Skin sales. I originally had a lot of flaking paint in the bed and took a lot of sanding and then re-doing the alodine and priming with Epoxy primer. You could still see the repair areas, but the Lizard Skin filled in all of the bad spots and it looks great now.

Flaking paint in bed before sanding/alodine/priming
IMG_20161008_165350_resized_20161216_092836666.jpg

Lizard Skin application
IMG_20161031_151230_resized_20161216_092837941.jpg
IMG_20161031_151237_resized_20161216_092837320.jpg

Monstaliner (color is off in picture due to flash and I need to take a better pic)
IMG_20161121_183850_resized_20161216_092835688.jpg

Gear Report

I wouldn't cover the drain holes in the floor. You will see why after a heavy rain.
I hear ya. 2 weeks ago we had a steady drizzle all day... enough that it washed dirt and sand into the drain holes and clogged them. Had a half inch of water on the driver's side.

ryanruck

Thanks. It does. I'll see if this is enough info for them, or if I have to actually measure it. :)

BTW, one concern the brand guy mentioned to me was that bedliner will still off-gas toxic stuff long after it is cured when exposed to heat. I initially thought I would do sound deadening first, then top coat with bed liner, but am now concerned about how much heat comes through the HMMWV body... generating toxic stuff in the passenger area.
I can't speak to the brand you're using but with the Monstaliner, there was some odor. I put it on when the weather was warm and kept the top off up until about 6 weeks ago but never got any complaints from anyone. No idea if it was necessarily toxic but it was more prevalent when the body was warm. Haven't noticed it in a while though.

I would definitely recommend a top coat. In my experience the Lizard Skin products definitely require it or they will scuff and get scraped. By itself, it isn't super tough.

A good way to keep drain and fastener holes from getting plugged is foam ear plugs. I bought big bag of them and stuffed them in during prep.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, no actual decibel readings.

It does reduce the engine and road sound a bit but you really see the best results in the elimination of panel resonance and panel joint noise so it doesn't sound like you're riding around in a metal garbage can.

Here's some before and after video I took that show the fairly dramatic reduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBGARKXE3rI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywt26Qxef54

I've gotten some really good results in noise dampening using heavy rubber horse stall mats cut to shape. Picked them up at Tractor Supply after a recommendation. Plus, even though the Monstaliner is a tough top coat, it can be a bit slick and things slide around on it. No more sliding with the stall mats! The mats also have channels molded into the underside so you don't really have to worry about them trapping water. A single 4'x6' mat is $40. I got 2 for the truck and had some left over. Caution! They weigh about 100lbs a piece and are very awkward!

View attachment 658306 View attachment 658307 View attachment 658308
Those mats look greatBulldogger

jake-cutter

I followed what Ryan did and used ear plugs to fill all the threaded holes and drain holes including the gi improvised ones. The monstaliner bed liner had a smell for the first three days as it cured, but none after that and my area is alot hotter than Ryan's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks