• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inverted MRAP wheels power steering

cummins7

Good morning, I have a bobbed m35a2 with flipped hubs in the rear on 395 tires with the mrap style rims and adapter plates. I installed power steering on my truck using Waterloo specialties kit and having a decent rubbing issue on the pitman arm. The power steering works awesome but limits the right turn significantly. I was going to get new rims with a greater offset but having trouble finding any and was curious if I could just flip the wheels around but not sure if they’d stick out obnoxiously to far. Also thought about installing a 4-5” lift kit like blackrock fab and possibly trying to clock the pitman arm to the rear some to get it out of the way... anyone have any suggestions? Or have proven luck to get full lock to lock steering with power steering and 395s?
thanks
Jay
303C7965-5475-4BFA-992D-DE10D01147F0.jpeg

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@98G

@simp5782

Simplest, most cost effective method to reduce the tire rubbing on Pitman arm is to switch wheels with more negative offset (to stick out farther). There are various wheels you can use and that are available, hopefully 98G and/or Simp5782 will post their knowledge as I defer to them on this issue.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you switch the adapter plate to the inside of the rims? My friend did that on Hemitt rims to offset them a bit.

cummins7

Yea, I put the adapter plates on the inside and torch cut the center out of one of the original wheels and put it behind it as a wheel spacer. Made a little difference but still it’s barely got any right turn at all, it’s fine for driving on the road but going to turn on to sharp roads or parking spaces makes it a pain. I got on e$bay and found a set that c&c equipment have for sale with 7” backspacing. I could reuse my adapter plates and hardware but for over $1k shipped I would want to know they will give me a significant increase and not just a few more degrees.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Deuce has the Waterloo p/s kit on it as well (and smaller A3 steering wheel), and it works best with wheels with more negative offset....I have LMTV wheels with the centers torched out and custom adapter plates I had made for them; they work great and the truck does well with them on. I wouldn’t even consider driving a Deuce with 395s without power steering any more...tired of cracking my left elbow on driver’s door.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't like adapter plates or spacers. When I bobbed my deuce and put power steering in, I ordered some re-centered HEMTT wheels from Stazworks. No issues with lock to lock, no spacers, and no adapter plates while running 53" Michelin XZLs.

Looks like he lists them as "Heavy Truck 20's" on his website below.
I remember busting off a set of real wheel studs on a car that I was hot rodding. Months on top of months. So long ago I had forgotten the adapter plates were still part of my project. When I finally stuck to the asphalt really well for the first time - that broken plate and wheel studs were the first exciting casualty of "more power" .

I didn't click the link that @HanksDeuce offered, but that IS the real way to do the job right the first time. No idea what it costs, but a wheel rolling down the road faster than you is really bad MoJo for sure. Especially if it is your tire!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks