• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP Question

Hello--just a quick question regarding the Injection pump for our vehicles--what is the typical life span of a high quality (not rebuilt) injection pump? It appears to me that so many problems listed in this forum are related to the IP?? Thanks in advance
Tom Lovinggood

Barrman

I had a Stanadyne guy tell me 5-8 year lifespan. that was 12 years ago. 2 of my 6.2 trucks are still on the the IP I acquired them with at least 10 years ago. Another engine is 11 years on a rebuild with no issues.

Of course, the guy that makes money rebuilding them is going to say 5-8 years. More money for him. I think they are a mechanical device that spins fast and has tight tolerances so good fuel, good filters and regular use are about all you can do. Normally though there are warning signs so you don’t get left on the side of the road.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello--just a quick question regarding the Injection pump for our vehicles--what is the typical life span of a high quality (not rebuilt) injection pump? It appears to me that so many problems listed in this forum are related to the IP?? Thanks in advance
Tom Lovinggood
I have owned my M1008 for 22 years. It had 9000 miles when I purchased it. It now has 68,000 miles. Everything on it is original. The only thing I have replaced is the radiator, belts and hoses , suspension parts, and brake parts.

Keith_J

Stanadyne no longer makes this pump so rebuilt is all that are available.

Seals and gaskets are made by various manufacturers, most seem to last at least 10 years. The supply chain has not been contaminated by knock off suppliers. Rubber compounding is still a tightly controlled trade secret and crucial for long life seals.

Aside from the governor weight cage drive ring on pre 1985 pumps, the first seals to leak are the throttle shaft. Originals last at least 25 years. These can be swapped without pump overhaul, only one critical adjustment with the low throttle timing advance cam.

Stanadyne certified rebuilt units are equal to new. DCP, Badger and Oregon Fuel Injection all are quality rebuilders which calibrate to the data plate specifications.

These pumps are precision built high pressure devices which are the sole component of power control in the engine. They are equivalent to a gas engine carburetor, distributor and points of a traditional 1960s engine. Built like a watch coupled with a high pressure hydraulic system.

Diesel fuel has changed considerably, the most change is the addition of fatty acid methyl ester, biodiesel, to most road diesel. This reduces shelf life and complicates water contamination.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks