• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is an EGT gauge needed?

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I had my injection pump overhauled a while back by Diesel Care and Performance out of Tenessee and the HMMWV ran great ever since. A friend and I were talking about timing the pump so I decided to check mine. When I removed it to be sent out I had marked it's location and installed it in the same place. I could see the hash mark on the pump so I marked it on the cover. After the conversation, I cleaned the cover and found the hash mark on the cover under the paint. my pump mark was about 3/32" to the passenger's side of the fuel pump mark ( retarded ). So I loosened the pump and aligned the 2 hash marks. It still runs fine but I'm getting a very light, black smoke out of the tailpipe at normal speeds not just on hills. He says I need an EGT gauge to monitor my temps because it seems the pump was turned up so I don't toast an engine. I didn't tell them to turn it up at Diesel Care so I assumed just overhauled. What are your recommendations?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
DCP is a horrible company as us here locally have alot of issues with them. They tend to sell junk parts.

They probably turned it up as it's common to set it at a certain output pressure based on specs. We know the military detunes things. So what a civilian pump baseline would be is different than what the military had it at. This is common on the NHC250 pumps sitting 25 to 30psi below factory on rail pressure.

Egt gauge wouldn't be a bad idea if you wanted to. Or just get a thermal gun and drive around with your doghouse off and shoot the manifold while it's under load and normal driving just to get a base of what temps you are getting before being too worried.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EGT is never a bad idea, especially if someone turned up your IP as that generates more heat. It will tell you if you need to "detune".

Best,

T

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EGT gauge is a turbo thing...not an NA thing.
ive been timing HMMWW’s for 35yrs...start at the scribe line and Advance from there, pay attention to engine noise and smoke color out exhaust. Advanced pump will make the motor “clacky” when cold.
A bit of black smoke is good, thats “burnt“ excess fuel, you don’t need to roll coal, just a whisp on mashing the accelerator pedal.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EGT gauge is a turbo thing...not an NA thing.
ive been timing HMMWW’s for 35yrs...start at the scribe line and Advance from there, pay attention to engine noise and smoke color out exhaust. Advanced pump will make the motor “clacky” when cold.
A bit of black smoke is good, thats “burnt“ excess fuel, you don’t need to roll coal, just a whisp on mashing the accelerator pedal.
Am I correct in saying that hash mark on the pump to the passenger side of cover mark is "retarded, not advanced"?

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Following this thread with interest as I mounted my rebuilt IP just a gnat's hair to the driver's side of the timing mark. Truck also runs great and with no smoke. That includes starting and under load.
- HoveringHMMWV

MattNC

Thanks RWH, that was really helpful. I wondered as mine does what you said as I believe somewhere in its history at Fort Polk they turned it up a little and my Army friends have commented it has a bit more get up and go than normal. Mine does what you said, mash the throttle and you get a hint of black smoke that's gone quickly. Its worse when still not up to full temp.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, advance to Drivers side, retard to passenger side. This is just for timing, it does not turn anything up, that’s done in a different way.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks RWH, that was really helpful. I wondered as mine does what you said as I believe somewhere in its history at Fort Polk they turned it up a little and my Army friends have commented it has a bit more get up and go than normal. Mine does what you said, mash the throttle and you get a hint of black smoke that's gone quickly. Its worse when still not up to full temp.
remember, you cold start advance switch advances the pump timing when cold, once at 120deg, you will hear the motor get a bit quieter as it retards the pump timing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks