• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is it ok to have the glow plugs wired like this?

dmilkman589

i have a wire coming off the 24 volt strip to a resistor, to a relay, then out to the plugs. the relay is controlled by a button inside. is that OK? or do i need to be incorporating the card thing and all the other electronics. it starts ok but i have to cycle it twice meaning i warm plugs for 10 secs i turn engine over, stop. then do both steps again and it normally starts. i was thinking that maybe it didnt start due to air in fuel system but im not really sure. its annoying having to cycle twice every time

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ditch the tap off the resistor block and toss it in the trash. Move the tap to the 12V lug on the firewall above the solenoid. 10 to 15 seconds should be enough to get the plugs warm. Mine always starts within that time period but can be a little rough for a few seconds. Are you certain all the glow plugs are good?

BIG_RED

10 seconds on the glow plugs even sounds on the long side to me, unless it's REALLY cold. My CUCV starts firing in less than a second, even when it's very cold outside. Sounds like a "fuel leak/check valve/fuel line sucking air" problem. I'd recommend the resistor bypass too, unless you live somewhere extremely cold.

Skinny

Relay?

I hope you mean solenoid and not a relay unless it is some industrial sized unit capable of some serious amperage. If it's a light duty relay, sounds like a fire waiting to happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks