• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the boom travel lock support tubes the same on all the wreckers crane trucks? M108 the same as M62 or M543?

ida34

I have an M108 that need the boom supports. I see some for sale that say it works on M62 and M543. I checked the 34P and M62 and M543 have the same supports. The M62 and the M108 have essentially the same crane but the M108 crane only has one slide out on the boom instead of two on the M543. I can't find a 34P for the M108 since it is not covered in the modern M35A2 manuals. I thought I had an older manual but I do not. Can anyone confirm?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to see you posting again. I'm fairly sure they iunterchange but I think 5 tons have some adjustment. The M108s are all one piece. Did you buy Rizzo's M108?

ida34

Good to see you posting again. I'm fairly sure they iunterchange but I think 5 tons have some adjustment. The M108s are all one piece. Did you buy Rizzo's M108?
No. I have had this for several years now. I got a half a deuce and a half from Gimpy a few years ago so I am going to multifuel it. It is still Airforce Blue so I am going to keep it that way. The farmer I got it from really let it go so I will replace all the cab and front end sheetmetal and keep the old stuff just in case. In the meantime, I got a 1942 Ford GPW and a 1942 M3A1 Anti-tank Gun. Good times.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny story about the boom supports. When I bought my M108 way back, I piggy backed it with my deuce tractor. There were probably 3 sets of boom supports with it. Well, before travel, I never bothered with putting the boom supports in place. A while later I'm cruising down I-75 running along at my standard 55 and I catch the glimpse of something out of my right mirror. After a quick double take, I slowed and found a place to pull over. The boom had walked itself around to where the hoist block was sticking out the right side of the truck. Just glad there wasn't anything in that break down lane. After about 15 minutes with a few straps, I was able to pull it back in place. I learned right there, boom travel supports are necessary.

ida34

I had mine trucked from the west side of Michigan to my house. They driver didn't tie the boom down and the boom was sticking about 3 feet out the side. There wasn't anything in the hoist block so I assume he didn't hit anything but he looked a bit flush when I pointed it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks