• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there an easier way to remove deuce hubs?

russojap

I'm working on a gravel driveway, so anything with wheels wouldn't work. Maybe I could put some thick plywood down? Not sure I have the strength to remove and reinstall all those hubs, I nearly broke my back doing only one a few years ago. Thanks

Last edited:

Barrman

You could pull the brake drums off to make them lighter. Otherwise, some kind of stool to sit on so your legs can kind of catch the hub as it comes off...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am working on gravel, too. A few ideas come to mind. You can make a "protector" for the spindle threads out of a short piece of PVC pipe. Cut that piece open lengthwise and remove a strip, leaving you with a 3/4 circle that you can snap over the spindle. Then you can pull the brake drum all the way forward to the end of the spindle without having to lift it.
Maybe you can sling the brake drum/hub assembly with a ratchet cargo strap, a rope or sling attached to the cargo bed and swing it out and lower it that way. Use a dolly to move the assembly around (I used to carry them until I finally asked myself "why???")

IMG_20170915_103213.jpgIMG_20170915_103218.jpg

Another idea: You can leave the wheels attached, pull the driveshafts, then jack the axle just enough to take the weight off the wheels, slide a sheet of plywood between wheels and gravel and work the wheels off with the hub and drum attached. The weight of the wheel gives counterbalance and it is easier on the back...as long as you keep them upright and do not let them fall over. I have done it that way, albeit only on one axle.

Lastly: Attract young local talent with promises of pizza and beer and have them lift heavy stuff under your direction!

Last edited:

russojap

Ok thanks guys, great recommendations.I really like the PVC pipe idea with something tied to lower the assembly maybe and the stool would definitely make it easier also. Using both of those ideas should allow me to do it. I think I'll still put plywood or something down to make for a better working surface too.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You need like helper "A" which can hold stuff for you and me.
This was made out of the winter friendly cat box.
\She probably still dislikes me but I needed the support.
helper A.jpg

I had jobs to do
I built her something better
lf 6.jpglf 4.jpghis frozen KIMG0661.JPGclean 4.jpgaxle real seal push tool seal Hub.jpgclean 3.jpgcam adj 1.jpgbrake shoes ON 04102014.jpgDeuce front hub + cone.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks