• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ISO Bed on a M35??

TehTDK

Not sure if the topic belongs here or in the other forum. But is it possible to get an ISO bed on a Deuce or is it too short or too light for that?. I am having thoughts about getting my hands on a 20' conex box and decorate it for living and such. The reason I want the ISO bed is so that I can switch between troop seat bed, and the "camper unit" "on a whim". But not sure if that is possible or feasible.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ISO bed is 15'. Can be done, just need to work around that issue. An ISO bed on an M36A2 with a knuckle boom would be pretty nice

dilligaf13

Since the 20' container would protrude 5' beyond the end of the ISO bed and 8' beyond the end of the M35 frame I would look for a different alternative. Perhaps an converted ISO sleeper unit. The ISO bed will fit an M35, no problem. It'll be a little on the high side but would make clearing 395's at full suspension articulation no longer and issue. There was just a thread, with pictures, of someone using a standard drop side 5 ton bed on a deuce. Looked good.

daytonatrbo

Start with the m36 with the longer wheelbase. It came with an 18' bed and would be a better base for a 20' box. Would still have overhangs like a school bus.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It also a lot more than "on a whim" to remove cover, bows, stakes, seats and drop side panels off an ISO bed. Best to have 3-4 friends show up to help. Maybe a S280 or newer 13 foot AAR shelter that way the sides can stay up.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a 20 foot ISO bed that came off a Marine Corps 5 ton.

It is heavy, I almost capsized the wrecker picking it up without using the outriggers.

It and a 20 foot container would be a no go for a deuce.

If you are interested in a M927A2 with the ISO bed installed let me known.

TehTDK

I figured the weight would be a significant issue considering the limitations of the Deuce in that area. The thing is that I like the multifuel capacity of the Deuce compared to some of its bigger brethen that only runs on Diesel due to the insane fuel prices here. But what route could I take if I wanted to retain the option to keep the bed, sides, seats etc, but also have the option to convert/retrofit it into a sleeping area/compartment. Unless naturally the cover actually provides enough cover from rain and wind, in which case I just need a space heater :)

TehTDK

How large is the S280 for sleeping etc?, if anything can links to specs etc I will just go read those, unless there is already a TM for it?. I did look at a M109, but sadly the M35A2 equivalent doesn't exist as the M109 as far as I can tell as I would rather not want the automatic transmission or the engine that comes with it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks