• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It started as a simple road trip.

Blackbear

It started as a simple road trip 21 miles back to the hunting camp. Went through pretty much a solid PM check, brakes, new belts, tire check hubs, coolant reload, drain and clean petrol tank, and of course all filters changed, this was due to the engine cutting out as I drove it in, stopped three times going up and down hills and if you know central south Kentucky no shoulder virtually no bail outs, etc. it took a couple shots of the "never spray can" because I was determined to get it to the garage.
Ok fast forward, now we are returning from the garage my M989 delivered, to the garage a few weeks earlier I was prepared to drive that whistler home with the M989 in tow, Having picked up huge advice from fellow SS, I had glad hands attached correctly plenty of brakes,
I can do this this right?
see pic.IMAG0155.jpgIMAG0156.jpg

So lets continue, remember that engine cutting out, I believed the filter changing and cleaning tank was the issue because it was nasty etc therefore as the engine fired up to head out, no worries. But that was not the problem.
As I proceeded up and down fairly sizable hills I coasted down and the whistler engaged as we climbed, could actually continue in forth gear, three just seems to have a shorter range.
Anyway about ten miles out coming up the second hill, sputter. dead, no power, here comes the fun part, My face went from waving at all the folks passing by and honking with a huge smile and salutes, to a bit of adrenalin, the road flattened out ahead no time, no time,
no whare to turn off I will clog this road for hours, what to do, oh a fifty yard pull off ahead for mail box runs because oh yes of the blind corners on this road, it's about 50 yards long,
oh great a telephone pole, and it's on the other side of the road, it took a nano second to decide no poles today, a ditch after the pole, but how deep oh losing speed can I really clear the road now, Here goes nothing! Bounce, Bounce, no more speed, but that M989 had a few horse power too and push push off the road safety.IMAG0161.jpg

Well it appears I had a bit of vapor lock? I guess I need an injection pump right?
Could have ended up a lot worse, Just Thank God every day for these small miracles.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take some time and check the line from the primary to the secondary fuel filter. The line crosses under the front engine crossmember and sometimes gets crushed.

Blackbear

I will check it out today, I also heard that pump unit in the tank could be it, they are known for going out, but I can't explain after it sits for five minutes that it starts back up.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Quick question, in you post you stated, "drain and clean petrol tank" are you running Petrol (gas) or Diesel? Back in my military days had to fill a Deuce with Mogas as the diesel tanker ran dry, that one tank turned a great runner into a nightmare and had to drop out of the convoy.

tobyS

Take some time and check the line from the primary to the secondary fuel filter. The line crosses under the front engine crossmember and sometimes gets crushed.
R4x4 that is the first I've seen your picture. Where and when and why the massive fire? WOW!

Katahdin

How thorough was the tank cleaning? Did you pull the in-tank pump and clean the intake screen? Did you check or replace the pump hose in the tank?

dmetalmiki

R4x4 that is the first I've seen your picture. Where and when and why the massive fire? WOW!
I also am curious for the story behind that avatar. And,
It does sound filter, pressure loss related. Which would account for starting after standing. Run a pipe or tube straight from the (or any tank) and see if it runs correctly full time.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Primary #1 is on the frame by the alt and should have a drain on it, 2&3 next to each other on the side of motor.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thought on the issue. Often times the pickup screen on the in tank pump gets clogged up with spooge. You would be surprised at some of the stuff in these tanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks