• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I've joined the G749 club...

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
After making a deal with an SS member I'm the owner of a couple m135s. The orange truck is very nice as far as sheet metal goes, we'll see on the mechanicals once I get it back to the shop. The other truck isn't as nice but not too bad either. I've already got enough projects to get done but I'm hoping to be able to fix up one good truck out of the two. Step one is going to be flat-towing them home, once the m756a2 is roadworthy.
IMG_2920.jpgIMG_2922.jpgIMG_2921.jpgIMG_2924.jpgIMG_2923.jpgIMG_2925.jpgIMG_2926.jpgIMG_2927.jpg

1944mb

Awesome looks like you have anough there for a couple of trucks. Just done flat towing a 211 with my m35a2. I used a towbar from JasonJc

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Awesome looks like you have anough there for a couple of trucks. Just done flat towing a 211 with my m35a2. I used a towbar from JasonJc
I'm planning on flat towing them home in about a week if everything goes well. How did the 211 do following the m35? Any problems cornering and did you tie off the steering wheel at all? Thanks.

1944mb

I'm planning on flat towing them home in about a week if everything goes well. How did the 211 do following the m35? Any problems cornering and did you tie off the steering wheel at all? Thanks.
It went well other than someone was tailgating me the whole way!! Cornering did well, just take everything wide, and no i did not tie the steering off. The steering will track right behind you if left unrestrained. I pulled a few jeeps with tow bars and you wanna always be sure the steering is unlocked if it has a locking column!(these were newer jeeps) You might wanna read the manual on how far back the bar should be set. I forgot to read that part and left it close as possible to my truck(its a manual right, who reads those). On my 211 and others that I have talked to, the holes in the front bumper are smaller than the standard 1" of later model vehicles, so I purchased some 7/8" pins, and ran them through the 1" holes on the tow bar feet, and through the g749 bumper holes, worked great. I pulled mine through about 60 miles of crappy county gravel, pot hole infested road and it did not appear to egg the holes out on the tow bar or the bumper holes. Other than the road, and 5 uphill hill for every one going own the m35 handled it great. I did hit some pavement through the trip and it was a little to easy to get up to speed with. Heres a few pics, you'll have fun using your other truck to complete this task.

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
We're only going a little over 10 miles for each trip for my trucks. I've had some MVs tow great with a towbar, and others immediately crank the wheels opposite the way you want them to when making any turns. I'm not worried about it since they're only across town.

1944mb

I also pulled my drivelines off the pumpkins, and suspended them from the chassis. I'm told you can flat them something like 5 miles before damaging tranny. I suppose you could shift the t case to neutral, but pulling the drivelines guarantees no problems in that department. Not sure why they would turn opposite, at least I've never experienced that.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The nicer of the two trucks made it home this evening. The m756a2 did a pretty good job towing considering it's only been around the block a couple times in at least a couple years. A little slow on the hills but that should get a little better with some run time.

We pulled the driveshafts, added some tow lights, and inflated a couple tires before departing. It followed great the whole trip; very uneventful. My brother (co-owner of the m135s) piloted the m756a2.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Haha, digging the tow lights! Nicely done. Did you end up steering the g749?
Thanks. The drive across town includes a fair amount of other drivers on the road so we figured it was best to have those on just in case. We didn't have to steer the m135 at all, it followed perfect as is.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The engine on the orange truck is stuck, it looks a little nasty under the valve cover.:razz:
image.jpgimage.jpg
We picked up the second truck this evening. It started pouring rain as soon as we started changing over a few tires on the m135.:grin: This one didn't follow so good... I "drove" it for the short trip. Tons of fun tailgating a deuce and a half in a downpour sitting on the metal seat frame... with no windshields. :driver:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

1944mb

So what would the truck do...the wheels would turn opposite? The valvetrain definitely looks nasty on that engine. What color is that m756a2 painted with. That m35 of mine I would like to repaint more to the correct Vietnam era color. Looks like you got a good find with those trucks. More pics when u got the time. What is the plan for them?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shorted out the keyboard drooling on it so now we're both wet.......2 winches, spare parts....what a find! Are the exhaust manifolds ok? Steering wheel cracks?....Are you as excited as I am? Looking forward to more pics.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
So what would the truck do...the wheels would turn opposite? The valvetrain definitely looks nasty on that engine. What color is that m756a2 painted with. That m35 of mine I would like to repaint more to the correct Vietnam era color. Looks like you got a good find with those trucks. More pics when u got the time. What is the plan for them?
It would follow ok in turns to the right, but not any in amount of turning to the left. The wheels would stay turned slightly. The m756a2 is painted in 24087 Olive Drab by Gillespie coatings. The plan at this point is try to get one of them running, I'm guessing the orange one has a better chance (it last ran about 10-12 years ago). The OD truck is going to be a parts rig at this point. If I don't have a usable engine I guess I'll figure out the new plan at that point, but I want to keep the orange truck complete for sure.
Shorted out the keyboard drooling on it so now we're both wet.......2 winches, spare parts....what a find! Are the exhaust manifolds ok? Steering wheel cracks?....Are you as excited as I am? Looking forward to more pics.
The exhaust manifolds look ok at a glance, I'll have to look everything over a little closer to get a good idea. I've got most of the parts needed for one truck, including extra doors, side racks, bows, good windshields, and other odds and ends. I've got 2 steering wheels with minor cracks, a third isn't as nice as the other two (I've got an extra column/steering box).

The front end sheet metal of the orange truck is in great shape. The cab is excellent as is the hard top, the doors are nice (and I've got others to choose from), the front fenders each need a small patch on the back corners. The bed needs welding at the reinforcements on the sides, but it's not terrible. Some more pics:
IMG_3044.jpgIMG_3041.jpgIMG_3042.jpgIMG_3043.jpgIMG_3045.jpgIMG_3046.jpgIMG_3047.jpgIMG_3040.jpgIMG_3024.jpgIMG_3025.jpgIMG_3039.jpg
The engine on truck number two... is also stuck.:)
IMG_3048.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engines that haven't been oiled and turned have the additional problem of galvanic corrosion. Not sure if all of them have aluminum pistons but the ones we've busted apart looked more like they were welded to the cylinder walls as opposed to just being stuck there. Had to knock the pistons out of one to get the torus to turn so we could pull the trans. The middle of the piston broke away from the wrist but the pistons are still stuck to the walls.

We've taken extra steps as soon as we get a truck, especially if we weren't getting at it right away, to pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with motor oil. Hopefully this will encourage anyone that has a 302 sitting to grab momma's turkey baster, pull the plugs and put a few table spoons of oil on top of the piston. If they turn, they should be turned yearly in addition to adding oil.

I'm hoping the best for you but let us know what you need. If you look north and a little west in Ontario there may still be a few crates up there.

1944mb

Engines that haven't been oiled and turned have the additional problem of galvanic corrosion. Not sure if all of them have aluminum pistons but the ones we've busted apart looked more like they were welded to the cylinder walls as opposed to just being stuck there. Had to knock the pistons out of one to get the torus to turn so we could pull the trans. The middle of the piston broke away from the wrist but the pistons are still stuck to the walls.

We've taken extra steps as soon as we get a truck, especially if we weren't getting at it right away, to pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with motor oil. Hopefully this will encourage anyone that has a 302 sitting to grab momma's turkey baster, pull the plugs and put a few table spoons of oil on top of the piston. If they turn, they should be turned yearly in addition to adding oil.

I'm hoping the best for you but let us know what you need. If you look north and a little west in Ontario there may still be a few crates up there.
good to know plowboy. The one I've got is seized tighter than tight and it only been a few years since it ran-supposedly It seems as though these were common to seize up, more so than most I have worked on. Is it cause the exhaust is open to the elements, do you have an explanation? Wouldn't worth messing with if it wasn't a challenge

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks