• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Join my North Texas Military Vehicle Collector Club PLEASE!!

combatmech

@ Needle... I talked to Piglet last week and said that he'd been driving it from time to time.
Should be back that way by next Wednesday at the latest.

Blueduce

Combatmech......Benabago was moved this weekend. Driven around the corner and parked behind the JK hanger. Not sure who moved it, but they needed the parking space for the weekend event. SO 2 birds...one stone.

(Actually I dont think they trusted my tank driving close to your vehicle...or were afraid I would put too big a charge down the barrel and damage it.:p)

Jim, Glenn, Jeff, Mike etc......Hope to meet up with you all at Alliance. It should be a busy weekend as I am on "aircraft duty", and we are also the drop plane (C-47) for the Canadian Army parachute team "The Skyhawks".

Anyway...This was why my visit to Murphy was just a quick one. Whilst you were in Murphy getting wet....I was in Addison getting wet and making lots of noise.

(photo credit.Scott Slocum)

Looking forward to the show myself. I will be there on Sunday only due to some scheduling issues. Comming from an old Army Abrims Tanker I would have loved to been there when they moved Benabago. Maybe next time.

Blueduce

The MVCC of Keller, TX had it's October meeting yesterday. We have a member that is finally home from overseas. He returned to the land of the big PX a few weeks ago and is now on terminal leave till his ETS date in January. We welcome him home with open arms as a fellow combat veteran and look forward to the dedication and level of professionalism he will bring to our club.

Welcome home SS and MVCC member "combatmech"

ntxcop

I received the valve I ordered from smittyjr355 yesterday, and installed it today. :p

I think the "Green Beast" is ready to roll now! I fired it up and the air pressure went to 120 psi in both tanks. The power steering is working, and the brakes are working. I lubed up the steering components and most of the chasis lube points and moved the truck around the driveway, backing and pulling forward and everything seems to be working just fine.

I never knew that I had to contact GovLiquidation to request a title / paperwork for registering the truck, I thought they would just send it to me. So I called and learned that I had to complete a form and send it to them, oh, and pay a small one time fee of $60. I didn't remember seeing that in the brochure.

Once I get the title / paperwork, I can get it registered and I should be close to taking my Class B Drivers License test around the same time. SO, hopefully, I'll have everything squared away in November so I can start driving it.

I have to give a thank you to "Blueduce" - Glenn and "Wallew" - Jim for coming over Tuesday and helping me get some rust scraped from the truck, and helping to prime the remaining rust spots. [thumbzup][thumbzup]rofl[thumbzup][thumbzup]

It won't be long now!!! I wish I could take it to the park this weekend with the other trucks. Oh well, there's alway next time. Can't wait to see you all on Saturday! Even though I won't have my truck, I'll be riding with Glenn in the Blueduce and I know we'll have a blast.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ntxcop,

You won't ACTUALLY GET A TITLE.

But what you will get is the 'SF-97' that you give to the State of Texas and THEY WILL ISSUE YOU A TITLE.

register it with bumper numbers - it's MUCH CHEAPER that way

and you know how to handle the whole 'drive it to club events' type of issues, correct?

if not, ask me the next time I see you

OH, and I have your ax

M35 Mayhem

But what you will get is the 'SF-97' that you give to the State of Texas and THEY WILL ISSUE YOU A TITLE.

register it with bumper numbers - it's MUCH CHEAPER that way

and you know how to handle the whole 'drive it to club events' type of issues, correct?

I just fell into the threads about the North Texas Military Vehicle Collector Club and saw where you mentioned something about bumper numbers. I just bought a M35A2 at a government auction and just sent away for the SF-97. When I get it I was going to get a license plate that fit the truck from the many now available but really did not like the fact I was going to have to put a license plate to be able to drive on the street. Is your mention of bumper numbers something that can take the place of the license plate or is it something else that will lower the cost of registering the truck? Also, what did you mean about handling the drive it to the club event type issues?

I would appreciate any information you can give this newbie.

Also, pass along any information about any upcoming events the club will be attending with military vehicles. I would love to see what y'all have.

M35M

ntxcop

M35 Mayhem,

First let me WELCOME you to the green affliction! :cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:

This topic has been discussed several times on this website, but to simplify it a little, I'll say this:

Texas DMV has created a license plate especially for former military vehicles. The license plate falls under the "Antique Automobile" series of license plates and is called ................... drum roll ...................... "FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE" license plate. This license plate is an AWESOME option for us. The first benefit is that it only costs $10 a year ($50 for 5 years) to register the vehicle. The second benefit is that the vehicle is exempt from being inspected. The third benefit is that you can choose to run "BUMPER NUMBERS" on your vehicle instead of a license plate, which means you stencil - paint the number on the back of your vehicle instead of bolting an ugly metal license plate on the truck. There are a few drawbacks to the FMV license plate. The state says when you are allowed to drive your vehicle, such as to club sponsered events, or for parades, displays, etc. I'll let you google the exact law and read it for yourself and we can discuss it in private.

I recently purchased a 5-Ton (M923) in late September. I went to the DMV and registered it as a Former Military Vehicle. March 2013 is the end of the cycle for the Former Military Vehicle registration, so I only had to pay $5 for the registration (plus taxes for the purchase). In March 2013, I'll have to pay $50 and my registration will last 5 years. I chose to run bumper numbers on my truck, as I'm restoring it to what it looked like when it was used in service. The DMV had me use the last 6 digits on my VIN as my license plate number. Some of the members of this website will tell you that the state can't make you use any certain number and that you are supposed to be able to choose you're own numbers, but I was shown a Texas DMV form with instruction that said the state requires the last 6 digits of the VIN to be used as the license plate number for FMV Bumper Numbers. Anyways, thats another argument for another time....... I was happy to get my truck registered for so cheap, and with the ability to run bumper numbers, so there was no complaint from me.

I've attached a pic of my truck with the stenciled bumper number, I used tan color so it would stand out better for law enforcement.

This website is full of AWESOME and SMART people. I'm amazed at the knowledge and info that is shared here on a daily basis. You've found a great place for resources and information.

Jim Wallew is the president of the Military Vehicle Collector Club and I'm sure he'll send you a message when he reads this. I'm honored to be a member of the club and we take part in a lot of events so PLEASE don't hesitate to join up with us and show off that new hunk of green steel. We have been invited to Alliance Cinemark Theatre to display our trucks at the premier of the new movie "Red Dawn". It's late notice, but the event is Wednesday evening (11/21/12) and the movie starts at 7:00. We're gonna get there a little early and the management has us park the trucks out front, you won't be able to miss us. Feel free to show up and meet the guys. It's the Alliance Cinemark at I-35 and North Tarrant in Fort Worth.

Keith

Attachments

Last edited:

M35 Mayhem

Thanks for the information

M35 Mayhem,

First let me WELCOME you to the green affliction! :cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:

This topic has been discussed several times on this website, but to simplify it a little, I'll say this:

Texas DMV has created a license plate especially for former military vehicles. The license plate falls under the "Antique Automobile" series of license plates and is called ................... drum roll ...................... "FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE" license plate. This license plate is an AWESOME option for us. The first benefit is that it only costs $10 a year ($50 for 5 years) to register the vehicle. The second benefit is that the vehicle is exempt from being inspected. The third benefit is that you can choose to run "BUMPER NUMBERS" on your vehicle instead of a license plate, which means you stencil - paint the number on the back of your vehicle instead of bolting an ugly metal license plate on the truck. There are a few drawbacks to the FMV license plate. The state says when you are allowed to drive your vehicle, such as to club sponsered events, or for parades, displays, etc. I'll let you google the exact law and read it for yourself and we can discuss it in private.

I recently purchased a 5-Ton (M923) in late September. I went to the DMV and registered it as a Former Military Vehicle. March 2013 is the end of the cycle for the Former Military Vehicle registration, so I only had to pay $5 for the registration (plus taxes for the purchase). In March 2013, I'll have to pay $50 and my registration will last 5 years. I chose to run bumper numbers on my truck, as I'm restoring it to what it looked like when it was used in service. The DMV had me use the last 6 digits on my VIN as my license plate number. Some of the members of this website will tell you that the state can't make you use any certain number and that you are supposed to be able to choose you're own numbers, but I was shown a Texas DMV form with instruction that said the state requires the last 6 digits of the VIN to be used as the license plate number for FMV Bumper Numbers. Anyways, thats another argument for another time....... I was happy to get my truck registered for so cheap, and with the ability to run bumper numbers, so there was no complaint from me.

I've attached a pic of my truck with the stenciled bumper number, I used tan color so it would stand out better for law enforcement.

This website is full of AWESOME and SMART people. I'm amazed at the knowledge and info that is shared here on a daily basis. You've found a great place for resources and information.

Jim Wallew is the president of the Military Vehicle Collector Club and I'm sure he'll send you a message when he reads this. I'm honored to be a member of the club and we take part in a lot of events so PLEASE don't hesitate to join up with us and show off that new hunk of green steel. We have been invited to Alliance Cinemark Theatre to display our trucks at the premier of the new movie "Red Dawn". It's late notice, but the event is Wednesday evening (11/21/12) and the movie starts at 7:00. We're gonna get there a little early and the management has us park the trucks out front, you won't be able to miss us. Feel free to show up and meet the guys. It's the Alliance Cinemark at I-35 and North Tarrant in Fort Worth.

Keith
Keith:

I checked out the back of your truck. If the rest of the truck looks as nice as the back....DARN!

The option of having bumper numbers rather than an ugly license plate sounds like a great option and I read between the lines about the use of the truck given the designation of Former Military Vehicle. I think I understand. I will read the law and become more familiar with it and its particular nuances.

One more question: what kind of insurance is available to insure a former military vehicle? I have collector car insurance on other vehicles I own. I was just going to use that. Is that the best option? Although I will not use my M35A2 as a daily driver obviously, I plan to drive it a lot. It's a handful but lots of fun.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the movie debut tonight but thanks for the "invite." I would have loved to come even though I would not have brought my truck since it is not yet street legal.

I look forward to meeting you in person soon.

M35M

M35 Mayhem

Welcome aboard Mayhem!! Where in Dallas are you? It is an addiction....I'm always looking for the next addition to the Great Green Fleet!!
Combatmech:

I'm in University Park.

Once I bring my truck from my warehouse and park it in the driveway on the side of my house, I think my neighbors are going to "love" me more than they do already.

M35M

M35 Mayhem

Thanks

Indeed, M35M Welcome to the fold. Once you get your rig let me know I have lots of spare parts.
Blueduce:

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I already have my truck and got it running this past weekend and took it for a "test drive" even though it is not yet tagged, etc. WOW! It is a 1987 M35A2, dark woodland camo without winch. I have attached a photo. I am obviously proud of my new truck.

M35MIMG_0701.jpg

Blueduce

M35M, That's a super nice rig. Do you have plans to paint? If so what scheme are you going for. Here's a pick of my rig after paint.

If you have the chance, check out the "Dallas, TX trail ride" thread on SS. It was the clubs first off road outing. We will be doing it again in the spring.

Attachments

combatmech

Combatmech:

I'm in University Park.

Once I bring my truck from my warehouse and park it in the driveway on the side of my house, I think my neighbors are going to "love" me more than they do already.

M35M
LOL...yep, the neighbors are gonna L O V E that.....Unless you live next door to George and Laura Bush LOL.
I'm sure there will be other events. I wont make the movie either.

M35 Mayhem

Blueduce:

The only plans right now is to pain the wheels black just because I think it looks great. You obviously agree since that is what you have on your truck. My wife and I are having a long term discussion about whether the truck is going to stay camo or be painted all green, just like yours. I think the compromise is going to be to leave it painted camo and to get a green cargo cover for it. Do you have any goods leads on where I can find a green or three color dark camo vinyl cargo cover? The first reasonably priced cargo cover will probably win the discussion with the wife.

M35M

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35 Mayhem,

Welcome to the Green Iron Disease.

There will be many more events coming up. I suspect the first big event will be the St Paddy's Day Parade in Dallas next year.

Can't help you with the cover, but have you checked the classified here? If not, we can start a search for you.

And we would love to have you come out and join us at your convenience. Club meetings are the second Saturday of the month at 10 am at my place here in Keller.

Drop me an email at contact@militaryvehiclecollectorclub.com if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.

Keith just left my place. He was touching up his paint and adding a second coat in several places. He's just left and is on his way to his place to get cleaned up and then OFF TO THE MOVIES.

We are a FAMILY club. My wife is going to the movie tonight. Hopefully other wives will be there as well. We have loads of fun.

Go to our website - http://militaryvehiclecollectorclub.com/ and click on the 'When/Where' link. It's our calendar of events and after each event we post up pictures of each event we attend. What we looked like and how much fun we had.

So, welcome to SS. Welcome to GID. Feel free to come out and bring that M35. Besides, what good is a toy if you can't take it out and play with it every once and a while.

my best
jim

K9Vic

Welcome to the club and hope to see you at the next meeting.

As for missing Red Dawn you should go ans see it as it is actually a good movie for a remake. I am not a big fan of a good classic movie being remade, but this one was well done. The original is still better, but they did a god job with it.

Here are a few pictures from after the movie was over were we parked to take some pictures, they are kind of dark but I touched them up some.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks