• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Journey complete, 52 years later...

wgtactical

Those of you that has been following the Blood Sweat and Tears V100 restoration and the search for the owner of a lost Zippo, today was a special day, as Don Tillman stopped by the shop with his wife Debra to be reunited with an old friend and a lost Zippo. Of course having @patracy there as it all unfolded was an added bonus as stories like this are quite rare. As for that lost Zippo...Don told me that he will be giving that lighter to his great grandson and seemed very excited to be able to pass that portion of his life onto the next generation.

Don Tillman in '70

Don's first time in 52 years being able to lay hands on the vehicle he knew well

Would you believe he asked if it would be ok to climb in? "Of course Don, and while you're at it could you autograph this helmet?"

Don started up the side of the vehicle and before he got to the top he asked "should I take my shoes off" and I replied "did you have them off the last time you were up there?" and with a big ole grin he climbed on top.

This was the spot he dropped the Zippo 52 years ago and the same spot where I put it in his hand, and as I did I said "last time you climbed out of here without it"

Since the original Don Tillman Zippo is going home with it's owner, I asked Don if he'd mind personalizing my copy of it.

There were many more pictures that I will share later, but these were a few highlights. Meeting Don and his wife was a pleasure as both of them were as excited as kids on Christmas morning...just one of those things you'd have to experience, and I am just grateful I was able to.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just read about this on FB and to be honest, imagining the emotions Mr. Tillman experienced and the flood of memories he must have had brought chills to me.
There's two sets of doors. The first entrance door, then the door opening to the shop area. Mr. Tillman was just shuffling about, but as soon as he stepped into the shop area he was face to face with the V100. His eyes opened wide and he approached the passenger side hatch. For a moment he touched the V100 and lightly bit his finger. That moment, his entire demeanor changed. He smiled and it would appear that he went back 52 years in time. Mr. Tillman then proceeded to close up the lower hatch, then climbed up the side of the V100 to the top of it as you can see in the pictures. (And asked if he needed to take off his shoes!) From that point on, he climbed through all the other hatches. Even opening up the other hatches. During that time, Don did travel back in time 52 years. Both in spirit and body. It honestly was a wonderful event to have witnessed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks