• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just curious...

jollygreen6x6

Hey all. Just curious :tongue: (and I'm not sure why :confused: ) to know if anyone has ever really smacked :banghead: a deer or something similar in a deuce or 5-ton :devil: :devil: :devil:
I'd have to imagine that sucker would just get burgered... :burger:

spicergear

Does a Geo count?

A guy ran a stop sign and plowed into the side of my M715 about two years ago. I was doing about 35mph and got a pretty good kick sideways and up from it...dirt tracked it and shut it down. I got out expecting to see some pretty decent damage to my truck and...I could faintly hear an air leak in that rear tire and had antifreeze sprayed all over the side of the bed. The car had NOTHING from the front edge of the front tires forward. Nothing. Right front fender sheared off, bumper, bumper mounts, radiator core support, radiator, half the battery cut clean...ALL was gone and littered the intersections. The lower radiator hose was ripped in half and burping out antifreeze as was the tranny oil cooler lines drooling ATF. Roof had a kink, windshield busted, air bags out. It totalled that car. Guy driving was kind of heavy set, no seatbelt, and you could literally watch him swell and turn purple around the knees, ankles and hands. Cops to and firemen to the scene couldn't believe the damage on one and lack thereof on the other. After an hour...I drove home. The guy started to feel a little better after his wife got there and me, being a jackass now and then, decided to have a parting bit of fun with him. "Hey, you're lucky you weren't two seconds earlier, man." He looks up, "Why's that?" Me: "Did you see all the steel on the front of my truck? Two seconds earlier I'd had you right in the door and pushed you out of the other side of the car like cheese through chicken wire." It takes him a couple seconds to put the picture together of that and then the color drained out of him again. [^] Ain't I a stinker?

Sorry Chaz-man...never hit a dear yet. :shakehead:

Elwenil

I've been in a semi when we hit one. With that much weight and the responsiblity of the cargo, you don't even try to slam on the brakes or swerve. You just back out of it for a second and lay back into it after it's spit out somewhere. You hear a thump, the truck shakes a little on the air ride bags, and all you have is a red streak on the road and a mess of hair and blood. Oh, and the truck smells like a barbeque for a few days.

Desert Rat

I've hit several deer with the different semis I've either driven or owned. As a trucker I detested hunting season because it drove (intended pun) the deer to the road where they knew the hunters wouldn't follow. The cheapest hit was $1500 for a new radiator and used grille from a salvage yard. The most expensive was $8,000 for a used fiberglass hood, used doghouse, new radiator and freon radiator, re-charge the A/C, new fan shroud, new fan, new passenger side tire (bones cut through the tire like knives) new aluminum rim and a re-issued license plate (old one was never found). Oh yeah I've gotten some very expensive deer meat in my time. Fillet mingon was considerably cheaper by about $150 / pound more or less. What gets me the most is all I ever hit were does, not one single buck! I couldn't even walk away with a rack! But I did see a Pepsi truck hit a buck early one morning of deer season. His engine locked up on him before he had a chance to pull over. The hit cleaned both racks of ribs perfectly and I enjoyed that for a while. I think it was a six or eight point buck. The racks are a nightmare of truckers.

Elwenil

Yeah, Ive seen a lot of trucks tore up from deer. Moose are really hard on a truck. We got off lucky. We were in a Kenworth T6, and all it did was knock the front fascia loose on one side, and bust up a headlamp and foglamp. We got it patched up at the next fuel stop.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son hit a deer with his M35A2. No sound or felt reaction other than a click to the steering as the front tires went over it, slight bump of rear tandems hitting it. No damage to the truck, which does not have a winch on the front. Winch with extended bumper would be even more protection. I had a big buck run across very close in front of me when in my M135 with an 11' snow plow on it. I reflexively went for the brake then just kept going, saying "go for it, sucker!" Missed him, though. We have way too many of the deer and Bambi lovers here in N. Indiana. I had two cars straighten out an icy curve coming at me when I was in the M135 GMC gas deuce with the plow on it. I saw it coming and started dropping the plow as the first car hit the corner of the blade, cutting the car apart from the center of the hood at an angle taking out the corner of the front windshield and door pillar just to the left side of the driver's face, but fortunately missing her. If the plow had been higher, it would have not deflected the car as much and would have cut off her head. As her car spun away, the second car following too close also skidded and hit me at an angle on the driver's side step, nosing under the frame, pushing the gas tank back and into bolts on the frame, tearing it open, and then my left tandems ran over the hood of the car. She, too, was not injured. No sparks must have been present, for the tank did not blow or catch fire even though it had a gash in it about 2" wide and a foot long about 6" up the side. All I can say was that the Lord was with all of us that day. The young girls had just gotten off work and were playing around, exceeding road conditions. I stuffed an old shirt in the fuel tank gash and drove the truck home! I found car parts in the bed of the truck! It was a real mess, but the truck did not really deflect from course much, or shake me up at all physically.

MVtrucker

Opie,
I read the articles and the one about his winch is a good lesson for first time winch operators. The lever on the winch itself is not to be used to disengage the winch under load, it's there for free-wheeling the spool. Disengaging the clutch is the method and it's a good idea to have two people present during winch operations. One person in the cab to work the controls and somebody else watching so they can alert and guide the operator.
One must not forget to unlock the drum lock when winching. I once got a truck in that showed the results of leaving the lock pin engaged when powering up the winch. We had to remove and disassemble the winch in order to repair it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks