• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just got a m105A2, need help on lunnete tow ring flip

1979cherokee

I won a M105 trailer this week and towed it home with the Pinz. I have read on here people flip the lunnete to lower it a few inches that would help me get level. I removed the back nut, sprayed kroil on the front and back, tried prying and twisting with a crow bar and beating on it with a 3lb hammer to no effect. It is rusty so i am sure that may be a problem.
Are these a tapered shaft? Are there treads inside the frame besides the threads the retaining nut threads to? Do I need a bigger hammer and really beat the heck out of it or press it out with a hydraulic ram?
I would love some advise from those who have done this.

Last edited:

Alexsha

Put the back nut on so that it's about 1/4" from snug. Basically a little gap. Set the parking brakes. Get a good long tow strap. Hook it to your truck and hook it to the ring. Drive your truck out so the strap is taut. Then hit the ring with a sledge a couple times. The tension should pop it loose.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tapered shaft and no further threads. Your hammer is about 5# underweight and you might need fire. They can be a pain when provoked.

1979cherokee

Thanks for the quick responses. I will try again tomorrow-forward tension, heat, and a bigger freakin hammer. Will try to load pictures and write ups of some of my military vehicle projects also.

3dAngus

You need a 8-12 pound sledge, and you need to hit it like a REAL MAN!
Wake up the dang neighborhood. When they get stuck, they get mean. You have to get meaner.
Hit it once or twice on one side, once or twice on the other side, then back, and it will start to work loose. Once it is loose a 1/4" or so, the rest is easy. Just man up on it.

OH, and don't forget to loosen the nut. :3dAngus:

Rmtaunton

Wake up the dang neighborhood. When they get stuck, they get mean. You have to get meaner.
Hit it once or twice on one side, once or twice on the other side, then back, and it will start to work loose. Once it is loose a 1/4" or so, the rest is easy. Just man up on it.

Just like that

1979cherokee

Success! Thank you for the helpful advise.
More kroil, log splitting wedge between retaining nut and frame, little heat from my plumbing torch on the top outside, and beat the Jesus out of it with a 4lb hammer a half dozen hits and it was free. I will post photos later when I am home very rusty from Utah winter road salt I imagine.

steelandcanvas

Now when you go to put it back on, obviously wire brush or emery cloth all the rust off. Apply Never-Seize to the shaft and threads and install. It will come out a lot easier next time.

andy3

Dell, you made my morning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks