• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up my first m1078! Air Compressor broke on way home!

Duckworthe

Just joined the sight and love it! I had my buddy pick up my 97 m1078 from Atlanta two days ago. He said it ran like a top, however on the 90 mile trip he said that the power steering went out and the low air alarm went off. He had it towed to a nearby shop and they said that the compressor most likely failed by either shearing the shaft or key way. I am not sure why it did this yet, as they haven't removed the unit yet. The cab wouldn't raise, but they finally fixed that. Since it is Christmas i will have to wait till Monday the 29th to find out. They said that the truck fired right up and sounds very good, no odd sounds, as they drove it into the shop to work on it. So they feel that even though it is a gear driven unit, it seems to not have damaged anything inside the engine. Anything i need to worry about on this issue other than just replacing the compressor? DO i need to go through CAT to purchase the compressor? Bet that will be pricey. I am making this into a Expedition camper as soon as it is at home in San Diego! Thanks for any advice in advance. Merry Christmas!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Advice? Check an unknown truck over before driving on the highway. If the cab could not be raised, it's kinda hard to even check the oil, much less the power steering fluid. The PS pump is driven by the air compressor, so it could have seized as well.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with the truck!!! ENJOY!!! Acquire the manuals either in paper or digital form and learn all there is to enjoy about the her!! Gettin one and maintainin one are TOTALLY different things! LOL Welcome aboard!

God bless,
Tony

Duckworthe

Thanks. I wanted to keep my first post a little short as with my excitement I could have wrote a book. When my friend picked up the truck all fluids were checked and the total truck walk around completed. everything from an outside visual looked good. The shop that the shop was towed to was unable to raise the cab, 1. because they have never worked on these trucks before. 2. the air over hydraulic system for the cab and spare only worked using the back up pump. I have all the manuals and faxed the page to them and they were able to raise it and look at the compressor. They had to have the engine serial # to order the part from CAT. I don't have the reason why the compressor went out yet as today is Christmas and they went home early yesterday. I understand it is water cooled. They told me they have seen this before on other types of trucks. Sometimes, when a truck sits for so long they build up corrosion in the pump and because they are direct drive units they will operate even when they don't want to. He said it probably would have went out weather it was running down the road for an hour or Idling for an hour.

FloridaAKM

I am working on getting a M-1078 this coming year if possible & there are few places that have them here in the South East. It seems that even a though check out doesn't certify that you will get home with no breakdowns somewhere along the route. Sorry to hear about your air compressor issues, these trucks are newer than the M35a2's they replaced, but the parts aren't readily available to any truck repair shops. If there are no SS members with the parts you need, the manufacturer parts might be the only other source @ whatever price they charge. I'll stop my rambling & let you get to repairing your truck & getting her home.

Duckworthe

Thanks Florida! i have been looking for a while now. We get them out here in Vegas and Ca but they always go for a real high price. I bought mine through Atlanta, Ga. Probably because we have so many places to use them out here. Or maybe everyone is getting ready for this state to implode. I am so ready to get out of this state. Everything is wacky here for the most part. I grew up in Mich and then lived in Vegas for a few years prior to joining the Navy and retiring. I and my wife are ready to slow down on my fabrication business and start traveling. I think this will be my favorite unit once it is done. I will post pics when i get it here and start building. Merry Christmas!

Doug Roberts

If you are picking up in Atlanta I'd recommend Yancy CAT ( 800-447-7394 ). They are about 4 miles away from The Truck Center ( GL site ). They are familiar with the LMTV.

Duckworthe

Sigo, Florida, Thank you for the warm welcome. Sigo, As a retired Navy Senior Chief, I have been called Duck for over 30 years! It was great to see that again. Finally the site is back up. it was down on my end for a day. Also Doug, thanks for the info for the CAT dealer. I was wondering if i should just bite the bullet and buy the new compressor or are the re-manufactured units just as good? I have purchased re-manufactured alt's in the past for regular autos and some last, some don't. Anyone dealt with a re-manufactured compressor in the past? What about anyone here that needs a load to haul from GA out to San Diego?

Duckworthe

So the shop is back to working on my truck today to remove the compressor and steering pump to locate the problem and cause of the issue (I am in no real hurry). While they are working I have been trying to source the compressor in either a new or remanufactured condition. The TM states that it is a Midland EL1600 unit. The repair shop called Yancy CAT in Atlanta GA with the engine ser# and it shows that the engine was purchased by S&S without the compressor, so they cant help. I have a call into S&S and am waiting for a call back from them, (don't know how long that will take). I know that Midland was bought out by Haldex a while back. They (Haldex) said the EL1600 was replaced by the EL16280 unit. However the EL16280 unit is a 3 bolt flange mount and the TM shows a two bolt flange mount. Also the EL16280 compressor shows that it was used on the 3116 6.6L marine engine not the 3115 6.6L. If I do in-fact require this compressor, 1. Who will have it? 2. Would anyone on here have one, you know, just laying around? This would be a whole lot easier if i was near my truck and could see the actual parts. LOL The truck and repair shop are located in ALTO GA.

blhar15

While you are replacing the compressor, I would also recommend replacing the air dryer with a standard Bendix AD-9 setup, that is what I did on my trucks. The air dryer parts on the LMTV's are very hard to find. If you don't have a good working air dryer, you will have alot of problems.

Duckworthe

Great to hear from you bubbleHead. I should have my truck in San Diego by 10 Feb, God willing. I love to hear when others are getting into the trucks themselves. Good to hear another sailor is on the sight. I was a Damage Controlmen/Hull Tech. then went over to the SPECWARFARE world.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks