• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just purchased my 2nd MV...M38A1

Maverick1701

*PICS added* Just purchased my 2nd MV...M38A1

Finally got around to adding some pictures...see post 4. As we all know...pics or it didn't happen.

Hey guys! I had been hunting for a new project/toy for a few months now. I finally found it.
I just purchased my 2nd military vehicle, a locally owned M38A1 (my first MV being my 1967 Kaiser Jeep M35 6x6).
My parents borrowed my M35 for a parade down by dallas. They liked it so much they bought it (made me an offer I couldn't refuse...also it's family). I have been wanting to own another MV since they purchased my M35.

The jeep has been sitting since 2002 (when it was last tagged). The plus side is that out here in the TX panhandle rust is practically non existent so most old vehicles age very well.

After service, it ended up with our local fire department (still has VERY faded MFD Markings). After MFD service it was sold to the current owner, and now to me.

No pictures yet but I will post pictures tomorrow.

I am hoping to have it back to my house tomorrow evening (9/26 or the 9/27 at the very latest). I went out tonight and completed some basic maintenance (aired up tires, check brakes, etc). Even after sitting for all those years, the tires still aired right up and are holding air.

Obviously this is going to be a project/toy vehicle. I am not in a huge hurry to get it completed since I have all the time in the world.

Nothing too special about the jeep. It is your basic M38A1. Somewhere down the line, someone installed a PTO which is pretty neat I guess.

I really don't have any questions yet. I am going to gather all the TMs and then start tearing into it.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love the M38A1-I think it's really the best military Jeep out there. A lot more comfortable than the G503 and the M38 (MC). They're 24V so you can slave your M35 off it. Waterproof wiring.

Maverick1701

Well guys I failed once again to snap pictures. I towed it back to my place this afternoon and began a basic teardown.

removed tires/wheels (jeep on jackstands), hood, windshield, seats (almost), and the "custom" rollbar made by bubba

I will try to snap some pictures tomorrow before I tear down anymore....

Maverick1701

Well I finally snapped some pictures (windshield, hood, seats, redneck rollbar & tires have been removed for easy access to motor).

Today I borrowed a pressure sprayer and must have cleaned out 14,000,000,000,000 pounds of mud/dirt/crap/etc from the underside of the jeep.

Today I also drained the oil, pulled oil filter, pulled spark plug wires, pulled spark plugs, poured some oil in the cylinders (hopefully I can turn the motor over by hand pretty soon), removed the "bubba'd" winch plate, checked air filter system.

Next on the "to do" list is: try to turn motor over by hand (with a little oil in the cylinders), buy new plugs/wires, drain/clean fuel tank, buy batteries, replace all fluids, eventually I will get to hopefully see it run.

IMG-20140927-00011.jpg
IMG-20140927-00012.jpg
IMG-20140927-00013.jpg

Maverick1701

I have been soaking the cylinders since Saturday morning using marvel mystery oil & pb blaster. When I purchased the jeep I was told that when the jeep was parked, the motor still turned freely (parked back in 2002). I didn't want to risk turning over the motor until I had a chance to soak the cylinder bores...just in case the motor acquired rust issues while sitting. This morning I pulled the plugs and turned over the motor by hand (using the fan) very very slowly. Now the motor turns freely and smoothly.

the only downside is that while spraying pb blaster, my straw attachment (that directs the flow from the nozzle) flew off the nozzle/button and into the cylinder head...doh! I would imagine that the first time I crank the motor "for real" (with spark/fuel) the straw thing would just break up and pass through the exhaust....but I'm not too sure about that plan. I really don't want to pull the head if I can avoid it.
What are y'all thoughts on this?

My next step is to send off the carb for a rebuild (even though my motorbike has a carb...I am a diesel motor guy at heart so carbs are a basically foreign concept to me), add oil to the motor. Once the carb returns, Ill add the new set of plugs/wires and try to crank it over.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

This afternoon I pulled the drivers seat, fuel tank, battery trays (dead bird surprise hidden below battery tray) and completed a good pressure spraying/cleaning of the entire "interior". I have continued to oil the cylinders and the motor is turning easier and easier as the day goes on.

Monday I am going to Lubbock on a work related trip. I am going to see if I can pick up an oil filter and two group 51 batteries from O'Reillys (lubbock O'Reillys is the area hub so I am hoping they have lots of parts that the "normal" stores don't usually stock...including my filter).

Monday afternoon I am going to try and get the carb pulled. I would like to get it in the mail Tuesday morning and en route to the rebuilder....but time will tell. Work tends to get in the way...A LOT.

I am probably going to hold off on doing any more work to the "interior" at this point (outside of basic cleaning). I have not decided what I want to do with the inside of the Jeep and which direction I want to take this project...might coat interior with bed liner...again...not sure. Also I am going to wait and make sure that the motor will run before taking the interior any further.

Maverick1701

I walked outside to walk the dog and was giving the jeep a once over. I noticed that my water pump/fan pulley is setup for a single belt (generator/crack pullys are double belt). I guess the PO swapped H20 pump for the wrong model.

Maverick1701

Today I filled the motor with oil and installed two new batteries. The jeep turned over under its own power for the first time since 2002. We have compression....now I need fuel and spark!!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow that is an incredible find. Even has the slave receptacle. You rarely see those installed. As far as the straw, I would put the shop vac hose on the intake hole and crank the motor over by hand, with the spark plugs removed. Maybe the straw will suck out.

Maverick1701

Wow that is an incredible find. Even has the slave receptacle. You rarely see those installed. As far as the straw, I would put the shop vac hose on the intake hole and crank the motor over by hand, with the spark plugs removed. Maybe the straw will suck out.
Thanks, Ill give it a shot on the straw.

right now I am waiting on parts through arrive. I wish USPS had some sort of super secret mega fast shipping option.... I have having to wait for parts.

FrankUSMC

One great thing about the M38A1 jeep, it has a glove box the driver can actually use! That one item will spoil you in no time. Also, as already posted, looks like you did good on this jeep, most M38A1s I come across have the front fenders bent all to ****.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

m109a2

Hey Maverick1701,What falls down can fall up with the help of a shop vac some duct tape and a piece of hose.I would not run plastic through my valves on a find like that.Good luck on your build Al.

Whiterabbit

The straw in the cyl?
Track down one of those mechanics grabbers and go fishing for it. It'll be like trying to grab a prize outt'a one of those chuckycheeeze places.
Grabber-Pickup-Tool.jpg

BTW, That's a nice M38A1! Wish I could find one that nice around here!

Last edited:

mutt1966

You mentioned that you where going to pull the carb and have it rebuilt, by looking at the picture it looks like the carb is a Solex a common replacement for the Carter YS that they came just thought Id let you lnow there are rebuild kits for both and the manuals are on line... Scott O&O

Maverick1701

You mentioned that you where going to pull the carb and have it rebuilt, by looking at the picture it looks like the carb is a Solex a common replacement for the Carter YS that they came just thought Id let you lnow there are rebuild kits for both and the manuals are on line... Scott O&O
Thanks! I am going to see if the carb will flow fuel before I pull and attempt a rebuild...I doubt it will flow will but you never know.. I might get lucky.

My carb is stamped Carter YF. I will take your advice and research all three carb options. If my carb doesn't work I will be open to any/all options. I should mention that I am a diesel guy so carburetors are new to me....I am not a carb expert in any sense of the word.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

The straw in the cyl?
Track down one of those mechanics grabbers and go fishing for it. It'll be like trying to grab a prize outt'a one of those chuckycheeeze places.
View attachment 519818

BTW, That's a nice M38A1! Wish I could find one that nice around here!
That is actually a really good idea. The local parts store (yes our little county seat actually has a parts store hahaha) has those little guys on the front desk. Ill give it a shot if the vacuum plan fails.

Also thanks! I love working on old Jeeps...it is very relaxing.

Maverick1701

Well some more parts arrived but no spark plug wires yet...they are still in transit.

Today I was actually off from work. I decided to do some riding on the motorbike vs spending all day working on the jeep. We are short handed at work so we get every 3rd weekend truly "off". Off has the quotes because we are still subject to being called out of something big kicks off (I work for the local sheriff's office).
However I did spend a few hours this evening working on the jeep since the weather is AWESOME.

This evening I knocked out a few things:
-freed up the brake lever from the clutch lever with the help of PB blaster and fresh grease (the pedals were moving together)
-re-installed the fuel tank (after inspection with snake camera & a good rinse)
-re-installed drivers seat frame (no seat yet)
-removed PO license plates
-removed some of the POs wiring (PO had wired up a horn & license plate light which were also removed)
-installed two new batteries with quick disconnects (so I can charge batteries individually...if needed)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
-removed some of the POs wiring (PO had wired up a horn & license plate light which were also removed)
What happened to the factory horn wiring?

-installed two new batteries with quick disconnects (so I can charge batteries individually...if needed)
You know you can leave the batteries hooked up and charge them individually?

Maverick1701

What happened to the factory horn wiring?

You know you can leave the batteries hooked up and charge them individually?
I do not know if the dash factory horn wiring is still in place. I have not reached that point in the project...yet. However the under-hood sections of the horn wiring are still there.

On the battery question:
I had read that online during my research but I am always weary of trying stuff I read online without first double checking the information hahaha.
That would make life A LOT easier...and clean up the battery box. So I can keep both batteries hooked up to the vehicle wiring and charge each battery individually using a 12v charger...correct?

I have actually ordered a 24v battery tender via eGay. Once it arrives I will be in good shape.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks