• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won the bid on a M35A2C at Tinker

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I downloaded all the manuals last night and will start reading them today. Looks like there is a manual specifically addressing inspection of the truck.

It seems that in my searches, some people recommend always towing/trailering the deuce home even if it is drivable? Assuming the truck looks roadworthy, is it hard/impossible to get the paperwork needed to drive legally on the roadway without the title? :driver:

A local farmer close to my brother offered to trailer it back for $4 a loaded mile or about $800. My brother has access to a company trailer that routinely hauls 15,000 but it has no trailer brakes and is known for blowing tires. Replacing tires would be $400 a pop (pun intended:mrgreen:), plus the idea of towing that much weight behind a one ton truck with no trailer breaks would be interesting.:tin hat:

Lastly, could someone point me to a section of do’s and don’ts on deuce recoveries? I’m sure it is in the forum someplace, but I am missing it in my searches. (This is a huge forum with tons of information, I just don’t know the key words to finding it just yet.)

Thanks for all the help,
Mike

Attachments

I live in Virginia so I can't speak for another state.
I did look into driving a vehicle, that I don't have title to, on public roads. Virginia has a "one trip permit" that is good for 3 days. you can get over the internet. I believe it costs $5.00 It is a full page document you printout at home and attach to the rear driver's side window. (Don't have to go to the DMV!! Yea!)
Your state may have a similar system.
The noun name of the doc will most likely be different, just to make life difficult for us "citizens". :?fat lady sings:deadhorse:

e

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE One trip registration,
Texas has something similar, I will have to see if I can access online or have to goto the DMV for it.

I assume if I get a TX registration, driving it out of OK will be okay, just want to be totally legal, what ever my end solution.

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck looks great! Gosh I wouldn't hesistate to drive that thing home as long as the safety checks go well.
Fingers crossed, I hope I just need to top of the fluids, do a safety inspection and find that it is good to drive home.

As my first one, I wanted one that was in good shape and could be enjoyed. :driver:

wsucougarx

Well, the fact that your truck is at Tinker is a really good indicator. From outward appearance your truck looks like a '86-'89 truck. Those USAF guys know and do maintain their equipment to a very high standard. I wouldn't doubt your truck is good to go.

Jinx

I agree with WSU. Assuming it isn't to far to drive, go check it out. If it passes it's inspections as listed in the TM's then drive it home. Just take it easy at first as you learn the capabilities of the truck.

aggopian

Looks great congrats! If I was near by I would volunteer to drive it home for you, You may have to chase me down on the way to MY house tho LOL

Great find looks well taken care of. Good Luck!

resqur

Wow...Recovery 4X4...do you have to be such an a$$h&%e? This is a fair question and this site can be difficult at best to navigate....get over yourself....not YOU or anyone elsewas born into this. If you have something constructive to add please do...otherwise give us ALL a break...

RichardR

Mike, you ask if your drive from OKC to DFW can be done legally. My son and I drove a pair of deuces from Norman to Austin two years ago, and I put quite a lot of effort into the legal paperwork situation. Here's what I found out. You can get a Texas "One Trip" permit for $5 that will cover you in Texas. Pick it up at the Texas Tourist Information Station as you cross the state line. You will need the VIN (which you won't know until you pick up your truck) so you can't get the permit ahead of time. You'll also have to show proof of insurance, etc. The most frustrating thing is that the permit actually comes from TXDOT in Austin and the folks at the tourist info station will need to fax things back and forth to Austin to get the permit into your hands. And, of course, this all has to be done during normal business hours in Austin. Keep a smile on your face but be persistent and they WILL get it done. A call (maybe several calls) ahead of time to TXDOT in Austin to tell them what you're going to do and to nail down the details of the TXDOT procedure will certainly be worth your while.

Oklahoma is another matter entirely. When you buy a vehicle in OK, the seller is supposed to give you a temporary (paper) license plate. All regular vehicle dealers do this, except GL isn't a regular vehicle dealer and won't know what you are talking about. So you are going to have to drive an unlicensed vehicle in OK naked. I saw lots of cops, and I know they saw me, but they ignored me and so I made it to the TX line without incident. As far as I know there isn't any way around the lack of a temporary license in OK, so just ignore it and you PROBABLY won't have a problem. Just don't do anything stupid, such as stop at a truck weight station, or, god forbid, have a wreck, and you will be OK. You won't have to worry about speeding.

The Texas part would all be easier if GL would give you the VIN and other vehicle details ahead of time, but I wouldn't count on it.

Best of luck and consider it an adventure. That's how I remember it! Son still thinks Dad was an idiot, but nothing unusual there.

Richard

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
So it's around 225 miles or there abouts. I would not use the company trailer with no brakes. That is an immediate NO-GO at this station. Farmer picking up is fairly expensive and you could shop around and probably get it a lot cheaper.

Follow the list on the great list for deuce pickup thread.

The only thing I would be uncomfortable about is you've never driven one before--I'm assuming. Any experience driving a 14000 pound vehicle with no power steering, drum brakes, no A/C, and noisy vehicles 5 hours?

Get good valid insurance. Ensure the company knows the truck weighes 14000 pounds. Most insurance companies have a limit they don't tell you about that is 10000.

Might want to make a new best friend and have them with you on your journey.

velociT

If your EUC takes as long as mine did, you'll have 60ish business days to read manuals.

I also suggest changing the oil before driving it 5 hours at 2k+ rpm as if not to scatter the motor.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would first like to thank everyone for their help, present and future.

I am in the process of getting an insurance estimate based on registering the truck as a TX FMV.

I will get the $5 registration on the trip back to Texas as suggested.

I have a copy of the GTA and will use it as a check list of things I need to check. I also have several check lists from members on this sight based on issues they have seen. They cover picking up trucks that have set for long periods of time and should cover any issues I could run into with a fairly clean truck.

I will probably get a quote for shipping as a backup plan. If there are any safety issues or other reasons that prevent me from safely driving it home, I will have a plan B that I can use.

I will start digging into the Dash 10s based on a suggestion from a member. If they are anything like the Dash 1s for aircraft, they should give me a good understanding as an operator on do's and don'ts.

My driving experience is limited. I have driven a much larger (modern) truck through North Dallas in traffic, and I have also towed large trailers with out trailer brakes and understand how large things in motion want to stay in motion. :)

Agree that the company trailer with no brakes is a "NO GO". When I was a kid I had a badly designed trailer actually pick up the back of the truck when some weight shifted and throw us into a ditch. We were only going about 15-20 mph thinking we could walk the load from point A to point B and it made no difference. Well, it allowed us to live, but it didn't stop us from going in the ditch in slow motion.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks