• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

K5 blazer 6.2l disel glow plug help

Jgarlock92

Hey guys, so I am working on this k5 that someone has done a lot of rigging on, they bypassed the glow plug system and installed a push button switch and solenoid to enact the plugs, but we are burning through plugs like crazy and are getting straight 24 volts at the plugs. I know that they originally went through a resistor bank and then a controller that dropped it to 12v and spread it to the plugs, but now that is all bypassed and we are getting 24v at the plug, is there a 24v plug that can withstand this that I can purchase? we have went through 2 sets of the acdelco 60gs in the last 3 months.. Is the 15g a 24v and would it work in the k5?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a former military M1009 Blazer or a civilian K5?

If it is military you need to feed the new relay from the 12v terminal block and not the 24v terminal block behind the rear battery.

Pictures would help

Jgarlock92

Hey, i can see about some pictures in a bit, its the M1009 blazer. We aren't running a relay currently, we have a 24v wire going to a solenoid and a push button in the cab to activate the solenoid and send the voltage to the plugs.

richingalveston

when using AC 60g's you should power them from the front battery and bypass the resistor on the fire wall if it is still there.
wiring should be front battery 12V to solenoid then plugs.

read the resistor bypass section in the stickies at the top of the CUCV section

Jgarlock92

Ok, so, one last question.

I had ordered a set of 24v plugs that will fit this "well, 19-21v operating range"
Is there any downside to leaving it as the 24v going straight to these 24v plugs?
Is there any benefit to bypassing the resistors and running the 12v straight to new 12v plugs?
I really just want to set this up so that it is as reliable as possible in the future.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have to change out the end of the plug wires to the bullet connection.

The way the original system worked is that 24v was fed to the plugs. When they heated up the resitance of the plugs and the resister pack dropped the voltage from 24v to around 12v.

By using 24v plugs and no resister pack you will be sending the full 24v to the plugs. While there is no problem with this one of the draw backs is that the 24v plugs are a special order item and no parts houses carry them. 12v plugs are carried in most stores.

Personally I would stay with the 12v 60gs and change the power source to 12v.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks