• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kalamazoo, MI

TacticalDoc

Should be moving up to Kzoo this October and wanted to meet others with MVs in the area. Anyone in the Kzoo area? Here is my 5 ton (Marine upgrade) truck.

M923 side.jpg

hipaa

5 ton is not legal on Michigan roads. http://mdotcf.state.mi.us/public/webforms/public/T-1.pdf Non-designated highways are 96 inches max width. The M939 series are 98 inches wide. You would have to get a "Oversize Load" permit for each time you get on the road. In addition, because of this, the truck will not conform to any insurer policies. Avoid Michigan if you can.

Vehicles or the loads thereon which exceed the legal dimensions or weights as listed, require a SPECIAL TRANSPORT PERMIT for travel. SPECIAL TRANSPORT PERMITS are issued only for the occasional movement of oversize or overweight vehicles or loads which cannot be dismantled, reduced, or otherwise rearranged to come within the legal limits. Applications for permits are to be made through the Michigan Transport Routing and Internet Permitting (MiTRIP) computer program or through a permit service.

67Beast

Actually if you fully read that you will see that the width limit is 102" which is the same width as my enclosed race trailer. He should be just fine.

Welcome to the mitten, I'm north of Kzoo at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes along the shores of Lake Michigan.

5 ton is not legal on Michigan roads. http://mdotcf.state.mi.us/public/webforms/public/T-1.pdf Non-designated highways are 96 inches max width. The M939 series are 98 inches wide. You would have to get a "Oversize Load" permit for each time you get on the road. In addition, because of this, the truck will not conform to any insurer policies. Avoid Michigan if you can.

Vehicles or the loads thereon which exceed the legal dimensions or weights as listed, require a SPECIAL TRANSPORT PERMIT for travel. SPECIAL TRANSPORT PERMITS are issued only for the occasional movement of oversize or overweight vehicles or loads which cannot be dismantled, reduced, or otherwise rearranged to come within the legal limits. Applications for permits are to be made through the Michigan Transport Routing and Internet Permitting (MiTRIP) computer program or through a permit service.

hipaa

Actually I have fully read it and talked to Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement in Lansing. (517-332-2521) The width limit is 96 inches on ALL secondary or county roads. (Trailers are 102 but this truck is NOT a trailer) It is only 102 on main or "designated" highways. I sold my M923A2 before it was even shipped. The SOS and the MSP explicitly told me that it was not road legal without an over width permit. This in turn led to not being able to register it without all the necessary requirements in Michigan. In addition, the GVWR plate is about $1500 a year. Ironplanet sent me a non-compliant title that showed the vehicle weight, not the GVWR. I was told by SOS that this Florida title was not valid for title/registration unless it was correct. This is ONLY for these stupid 5 tons. It seems that every other smaller MV is good to go in Michigan. If anyone knows a way to make the friendly folks in Lansing change the rules, please feel free to IM me.

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

Actually I have fully read it and talked to Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement in Lansing. (517-332-2521) The width limit is 96 inches on ALL secondary or county roads. (Trailers are 102 but this truck is NOT a trailer) It is only 102 on main or "designated" highways. I sold my M923A2 before it was even shipped. The SOS and the MSP explicitly told me that it was not road legal without an over width permit. This in turn led to not being able to register it without all the necessary requirements in Michigan. In addition, the GVWR plate is about $1500 a year. Ironplanet sent me a non-compliant title that showed the vehicle weight, not the GVWR. I was told by SOS that this Florida title was not valid for title/registration unless it was correct. This is ONLY for these stupid 5 tons. It seems that every other smaller MV is good to go in Michigan. If anyone knows a way to make the friendly folks in Lansing change the rules, please feel free to IM me.

what about antiques?
My truck is 30 years old and registered in FL as an antique.
Maybe I'll keep it registered in FL
I have a MSP contact and will ask him.

edit...I have him looking into it. He said it might be ok if its an antique but going to check.

Last edited:

hipaa

There is no exemption for antiques and width limits. In addition, we have "frost laws" that prohibit use in the spring on most roads. If the truck is an M-939 series truck you will have way too many headaches. FWIW State Troopers are great at what they do but they are not Motor Carrier Enforcement. The Motor Carrier guys are the commercial truck law enforcement branch of MSP. Yesterday, a friend of mine got two tickets from MCE for carrying brush in a dump truck with no tarp over the top. You couldn't even see the brush from behind. Keep in mind that Michigan has the worst roads in the country, the highest insurance and has cut many public safety jobs. For starters, you will need to amend your title to reflect the real GVWR, not the "weight" of the vehicle. Then, you will not be able to register unless you have documents that we cannot talk about. In Michigan, the cost of each car is $187 per year for our MCCA assessment, then the "I" on top of that. Good Luck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no exemption for antiques and width limits. In addition, we have "frost laws" that prohibit use in the spring on most roads. If the truck is an M-939 series truck you will have way too many headaches. FWIW State Troopers are great at what they do but they are not Motor Carrier Enforcement. The Motor Carrier guys are the commercial truck law enforcement branch of MSP. Yesterday, a friend of mine got two tickets from MCE for carrying brush in a dump truck with no tarp over the top. You couldn't even see the brush from behind. Keep in mind that Michigan has the worst roads in the country, the highest insurance and has cut many public safety jobs. For starters, you will need to amend your title to reflect the real GVWR, not the "weight" of the vehicle. Then, you will not be able to register unless you have documents that we cannot talk about. In Michigan, the cost of each car is $187 per year for our MCCA assessment, then the "I" on top of that. Good Luck.
Frost laws have no effect on historic plates , please post correct factual information . Frost laws simply cut the allowed weight per axle so you have to reduce your load . I'm guessing TacticalDoc Has basic knowledge of Michigan laws and fees as he lived in Saginaw for a year or so before moving to Florida .
This thread was stated about members near Kalamazoo , not your personal problems with the SOS , there are many members with legally registered M939 series trucks in Michigan .

TacticalDoc

My friend has a 5 ton up in MI and never heard of that. He has been driving it around for years in parades and on/off road. It's insured in MI also. It will be there soon and I will be driving it around.

turnkey

Easy fix, call or E-mail Mi DMV...they will have what you need...this site is only what we in the USN call for SEALAWYERS... It start out as I hear from this guy..Then it really grows....I live the land of noise.. Hope this works out for you .

hipaa

This here "sealawyer" initated a Michigan Attorney General Investigation with his State Senator yesterday. I am requesting an Attorney General's opinion (force of law) to clear up MCL-Act-300-of-1949 Section 257.225, specifically, does this section exempt MV's from height, weight and width limits? I will let you guys know what the Attorney General says. I am tired of all the BS on here and half-truths. I cannot get a straight answer from SOS, MSP and people on here. I will let Bill Schuette decide. If there is no exemption than the law needs to be changed. I guess I do not understand the mentality of people that do not want to hear the current law and then do something about it. Blaming me and name calling for what is obviously another Michigan problem is really juvenile and counter-productive. Peace out.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This here "sealawyer" initated a Michigan Attorney General Investigation with his State Senator yesterday. I am requesting an Attorney General's opinion (force of law) to clear up MCL-Act-300-of-1949 Section 257.225, specifically, does this section exempt MV's from height, weight and width limits? I will let you guys know what the Attorney General says. I am tired of all the BS on here and half-truths. I cannot get a straight answer from SOS, MSP and people on here. I will let Bill Schuette decide. If there is no exemption than the law needs to be changed. I guess I do not understand the mentality of people that do not want to hear the current law and then do something about it. Blaming me and name calling for what is obviously another Michigan problem is really juvenile and counter-productive. Peace out.
You should start your own thread on that in the
[h=2]Politics Related to the MV Hobby[/h]
This is the place for any political discussions related to the military vehicle hobby. No party bashing or rude behavior, please!

Forum instead of hi-jaking this and other threads with your problems with the SOS.

TacticalDoc

I don't mind potential problems that I may come across and welcome advice. I just want correct advice. It seems like there are already MV that are registered in MI and I asked my MSP contact/friend that said it wont be a problem.

paradeduty

Really - I never knew that my 5-ton 6x6 was wider than my HEMTT 8x8 and PLS 10x10. I know for a fact that the Oshkosh's (let's just leave the HET out of this) are only 8' wide. Never had any problem registering and driving any of them. Have to check into the validity of this.......................

EwaMarine

Dont forget to support your Kalamazoo air Zoo in K Zoo!..Museums always need your help with MVs at museum events!! OORAH on that five tone Tactical Doc!! nice animal! :)

turnkey

Love that kalzoo air museum.....I have been there several times and ....WOW something different each time.....friend of mine lives in clarkville and has 3 ,5 tonners runs them all over the place....he has a small farm...He doesn't seem to have any problems with getting the rigs legal.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks