• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keeping an M35 at my Residence

Zoidsfan77

Greetings! This is my first post here, but I have been going over threads for some time.
I am planning to purchase an M35A2 in the coming months. I live in Columbus Ohio.

I just want to make sure I can legally keep this thing at my house. It will fit properly in my driveway and all that.
Here is my only real concern:
From my local ordinances and codes.

3312.35 - Prohibited parking.
A.
In residential districts, no required off-street parking space, no parking space in front of the setback line, and no required front, side or rear yard area or unimproved surface shall be used for the parking or storage of a boat, trailer, camping trailer or other recreational vehicle.
B.
No commercial vehicle shall be stored or parked on a residentially zoned lot. However, infrequent, short-term parking of a commercial or commercial-type vehicle for conveying tools and materials to premises where labor using such tools and materials is being performed, delivering goods to a residence, or moving furniture to or from a residence, all only during the time such parking is actually necessary, is hereby excepted from this section.
For purposes of this section, "commercial vehicle" includes, but is not necessarily limited to: a bus, cement truck, commercial tree-trimming equipment, construction equipment, dump truck, garbage truck, panel truck, semi-tractor, semi-trailer, stake bed truck, step van, tank truck, tar truck, or other commercial-type vehicle licensed by the Ohio State Bureau of Motor Vehicles as a commercial vehicle or truck.

(Ord. No. 1537-2009, § 8, 5-3-2010)

My Deuce will not be registered as a commercial vehicle. I am hoping I can get you guys' opinions on the matter, the last thing I want is trouble with the city.

Thank you!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, by Ohio code, it will be plated as commercial.

I hate that Ohio is ignorant, but because its rated over 1 ton, they will not issue you anything other than commercial plates.

archmark

I'm thinking that you're OK on part 'B' since your Deuce isn't a commercial vehicle. It's part 'A' that would worry me, the "recreational vehicle" interpretation. You'll probably get 10 different interpretations of the ordinance from 9 different wingnuts down at the code gulag and that's even BEFORE they get a complaint from your crazy neighbor next door (everybody has one).

I'm hoping not but my money says that they hassle you. Let us know the outcome...

camoyj7

Your neighbors can make or break your parking at home. If you get along with them well you should have a good chance. I've been really lucky with my neighbors.

Zoidsfan77

Well, by Ohio code, it will be plated as commercial.

I hate that Ohio is ignorant, but because its rated over 1 ton, they will not issue you anything other than commercial plates.
I see... That is silly, as Ohio only requires a CDL above 26,001 GVWR, so you would think you wouldn't need commercial plates.
I might just register it as an historical vehicle.

Zoidsfan77

Your neighbors can make or break your parking at home. If you get along with them well you should have a good chance. I've been really lucky with my neighbors.
I like my neighbors, and have had no problems, even when I've had my Chevy Blazer apart, with its engine laying on the ground for a month.
But archmark is right, everybody has a "problem" neighbor, I just haven't found mine yet >.>

I will only be living at this place for another half year or so, I think I will just take my chances and hope for the best. I have a fallback location to store it if things don't work out.
I will certainly update this thread when I get my vehicle, and if I have any problems.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhere in that section of the statutes there will be a list of definitions, usually at the begining. They probably say more than X pounds empty weight or more than 2 axles will be considered commercial vehicles. Be sure the definitions you look at cover the statute you are referring to because they may be different for different sections.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Mine are historical, commercial historical. You will not get around commercial plating. I argued till I was blue in the face.

phxmark

City of Phoenix and Glendale give MV owners a hard time unless they have Historic Plates on them. State law overrides any municipal law on parking and driving restriction of MVs or commercial type vehicles with Historic Plates. My neighbor in Glendale gets constant grief from city code enforcement for his Dodge Dually 4x4 and Tandem Axle motorhome.

Flyingvan911

I see... That is silly, as Ohio only requires a CDL above 26,001 GVWR, so you would think you wouldn't need commercial plates.
I might just register it as an historical vehicle.
I feel the same way about how the word "commercial" is used. While a commercial vehicle is used to make money they also use the word for any larger than soccer mom vehicle. It's that way all over.

daytonatrbo

I was basically required to reg my M35 as commercial, but my M109 is registered and titled as a "camper van" here in TN.

But I live in a very rural area and have no concerns over parking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks