• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keith's M1078A1 Project Overland

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pictures of the lock and window install. My biggest tip is do not use the wire that they supplied you with and use good quality wire.
powerwindow.jpgdoorlock.jpgdoorlock1.jpgdoorlock3.jpgdoorlock4.jpgdoorlock5.jpg

Last edited:

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This kit that I used came with a back up crank. Just pop off the cover where the old crank was and put the back up handle on that I keep in the overhead console.
Just run wiring across the front along with all the other wires. The area that has the most room is just in front of the heater/AC unit.

ramdough

It's been a while since I've updated everyone on my project. So I'll try and get everyone up to speed.
8 months ago I brought the interior up to date and Installed power windows, power door locks, RFID keyless start, backup camera, touch screen stereo, 2" of sound proofing and heat insulation covering the roof and side panels, floor coatings with custom floor mat covering the entire floor, custom storage boxes behind the seats, bucket seats with arm rests, under seat lock boxes, new air bags for the air ride system, cruise control, changed out the Gen1 ac unit and installed the Gen2 unit and getting 20 degree colder temps, I'm sure I'm forgetting other things but here are some pictures.
Do you mind posting part numbers and vendor links to the components you used? Like the door locks and window cranks... would enjoy the rest of the part informations as well.

Thanks in advance.

Awesome build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[h=1]Biltek 2x Door Car Power Window + Keyless Door Unlock Kit For Ford F-350 F450 F-550 Super Duty Fiesta Flex Focus[/h]
This is what I ordered from the amazing......online store. $83 like I said earlier use a better quality wire and connectors than they supply you with.
They are still working as good as the day I installed them the speed of the window is good and plenty strong enough.
Everything is 12 Volt DC. With all the 12 volt accessories I've added, I added a secondary 12 volt fuse box for them.

coachgeo

Thanks Keith. Guess manufactures have been listening... I see now couple models on Amazon that have manual cranks you can pop on if need be in addition to the one you mention above. sweet.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
This kit that I used came with a back up crank. Just pop off the cover where the old crank was and put the back up handle on that I keep in the overhead console.
Just run wiring across the front along with all the other wires. The area that has the most room is just in front of the heater/AC unit.
Does this method have the full 22" lift we need?

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The overhead console I made was a one off build, with very little documentation. But I started with making a template out of card board the transferring it to aluminum sheet then about 50 small adjustments, cuts and test fits before final welding.
The doors are made of 1/2” Star Board, cut and routered. I also used 3/4” Star Board to make the storage boxes behind the seats.
Star board is a plastic type material used a lot in the boating industry and sold in various size sheets depending on you supplier. It comes in original density which is solid and and a lighter version where the outer 1/16” is solid and the inner core is a little airy looks like tiny bubbles.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
The overhead console I made was a one off build, with very little documentation. But I started with making a template out of card board the transferring it to aluminum sheet then about 50 small adjustments, cuts and test fits before final welding.
The doors are made of 1/2” Star Board, cut and routered. I also used 3/4” Star Board to make the storage boxes behind the seats.
Star board is a plastic type material used a lot in the boating industry and sold in various size sheets depending on you supplier. It comes in original density which is solid and and a lighter version where the outer 1/16” is solid and the inner core is a little airy looks like tiny bubbles.
It looks amazing! What gauge aluminum did you use?

Reworked LMTV

I would NOT recommend the inexpensive universal power window kits with the flexible center section. My experience is that these lack the power to open and close these windows. You will likely need to replace the manual mechanisms too, as they rust and bind. Not cheap.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that sounds painful! Looks great. How easy was it to shape, trim, and stitch?

Did you use the old one as a template?

I did use the old one as a template. And made templates out of cardboard for under the seats. Getting the shape is a pain in the rear. When I cut mine obviously I could be exactly as the original so it actually changes the shape a little and caused some puckers. And when stitching it it starts to form into the shape making even hard to handle it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks