• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Known Power Combo's for 6CTA8.3

74M35A2

Hope everybody had a good Thanksgiving.

Any known power combos to work well for the 8.3? Meaning bolt-on's beyond turning up the pump. Examples of turbo's, pumps, injectors, valve springs, timing advance, etc.... Appears Banks offers something called a stinger system for RV's with this motor? Seems to be a turbine housing and pump mod instructions? Also appears folks slam Bank's stuff?

Maybe as a separate question, is our MW pump up to decent power deliver, or does one need to swap to a P7100 pump? Do I have this right? I may just be embarrassing myself here. Would consider to swap over to an NTC-400, but I think the 8.3 can still handle higher RPM's much easier due to less recip mass, and make nearly the same power...? Sure, a little more stressful, but this motor seems tough. Plus the NTC is like 1000lb or more weight gain. Target would be in the (upper) 400hp range. Start with marine specs and go further?

Picking up an M925A2 soon, and improving power delivery will be top priority, even if needing to spend several thousand to do so in a single shot (turbo, injectors, pump, governor springs, and valve springs all same time ok). Want it to be all motor, no propane. Swapping out the MT654CR Allison for a 13- speed will be soon thereafter. Maybe some RV forums are another good source (no offense here)? Thanks in advance.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can gain a good bit just with tweaking the pump. Personally I'd just tweak the pump, change injectors, and install gauges. People slam Banks due to them being very over priced for what performance they provide.

Personally I don't like advancing the timing that much. Well not in a towing or heavy duty application. Increased timing also leads to increased cyl pressures. (which can leak to HG failure) Valve springs would be nice if you plan on twisting it up to higher RPMs. You should be able to get 400hp with injectors and tweaking. But that transmission isn't going to be happy with it for long.

FWIW, I've played around with the 5.9 cummins. I had a 484wrhp in a pickup truck. Nothing more than injectors, (tuner for the VP44), valve springs, studs, and a single turbo.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Larger turbo and marine injectors. There is a thread on increasing hp with the 8.3 I don't know how to link it though. Member nevrenufhp knows and sells set ups for big hp. I think the transfer case would be the first thing to give if you really up the torque. It's a powerful motor to begin with it just doesn't seem that way due to weight and gearing.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you end up upgrading to 400HP you'll probably need a new transmission sooner rather than later if you actually use the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks