• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Head light upgrade. ....

Drock

Well I guess they don't make them like they used to? I kept burning out or cracking the old style glass headlight bulbs. So I reluctantly ordered this set of LED headlights on Ebay. And I'll have to admit they are an amazing improvement!20180313_135436.jpg20180313_181542.jpg20180316_210808.jpg

DREDnot

How well do they throw that light on the road ahead? Or are they like most aftermarket LEDs that illuminate the ISS as well?

rodent

Looks good! Love mine but I'm curious if I will have any buzzing noise in my stereo after its installed. Some LED's have issues with radio noise, some don't.

Drock

How well do they throw that light on the road ahead? Or are they like most aftermarket LEDs that illuminate the ISS as well?
I guess the low beams seem to spread about 4 lanes wide, and out about 75 yards out. The high beams are more like a spot light, I'd guess another 25-30 yards out. Anything with reflective tape on it looks like neon lights, street signs, city, and police vehicles.

Bighorn

Those are nice.
Probably a few hundred bucks?
I wonder how they do with snow?
Like the idea of not replacing them often and their lower amp draw.

Drock

Looks good! Love mine but I'm curious if I will have any buzzing noise in my stereo after its installed. Some LED's have issues with radio noise, some don't.
I looked it up I guess there's a gizmo called a ferrite coil you clip over the leads to the LED's that is supposed to stop it. I don't have a radio in my truck so I couldn't tell you if these would be a problem or not? I do listen to Pandora on my cell phone with earplug head phones with no problem.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked it up I guess there's a gizmo called a ferrite coil you clip over the leads to the LED's that is supposed to stop it. I don't have a radio in my truck so I couldn't tell you if these would be a problem or not? I do listen to Pandora on my cell phone with earplug head phones with no problem.
I hope you don’t drive listening to music with the earbuds in.
Illegal and VERY big ticket.
Can’t hear emergency vehicles with those in is the reason.

Just FYI in case you didn’t know.

Drock

Those are nice.
Probably a few hundred bucks?
I wonder how they do with snow?
Like the idea of not replacing them often and their lower amp draw.
Well funny / not so funny story about that. These are 85W, 3000LM low beam, 5500LM high beam $87.99 shipped. And just after I ordered them I found another set 105W, 4500LM low beam, 6500LM high beam $52.19. which is a little less then a pair of stock glass bulbs from Advanced!:doh:

Last edited:

Bighorn

Well funny / not so funny story about that. These are 85W, 3000LM low beam, 5500LM high beam $87.99 shipped. And just after I ordered them I found another set 105W, 4500LM low beam, 6500LM high beam $52.19. which is a little less then a pair of stock glass bulbs from Advanced!:doh:
P=I*V
So 85 watts=12 volts x 7 amps
105 watts= 12 volts x 8.75 amps.
I am guessing that is per led headlight so 14 amps on low beam for the pair.
I wonder if those wattage figures are an "equivalent to incandescent" or actual wattage?
Neat lights.
I do dig me a fine set of them them Light Emitting Diodes.

Drock

I hope you don’t drive listening to music with the earbuds in.
Illegal and VERY big ticket.
Can’t hear emergency vehicles with those in is the reason.

Just FYI in case you didn’t know.
Yeah I'm aware of the law. But my common sense realized I couldn't hear anything over the cab noise in my non carpeted or insulated M1028 at 70-80MPH anyway. So might as well save my hearing :shrugs:. Besides not wearing headphones would make me the only one in ATL LOL!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I'm aware of the law. But my common sense realized I couldn't hear anything over the cab noise in my non carpeted or insulated M1028 at 70-80MPH anyway. So might as well save my hearing :shrugs:. Besides not wearing headphones would make me the only one in ATL LOL!
Ok
It was just a friendly FYI.

I’m always listening to the engine, etc. for any abnormal sounds.
Flying helicopters for almost 30 years will do that to you.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Drock where did you find the "set 105W, 4500LM low beam, 6500LM high beam $52.19"? All I could find were singles at that price.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm not sure what you all are looking for, but i've learned Maxxima brand LEDs are guaranteed for 5years. They are all I buy now.

Matt5

Banned
They all blind oncoming drivers about the same anyway. LED headlights are about $500 a pair if you are going to be on the road. If they are less you better stay off the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks