• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lessons from my 002a

dependable

I just got a MEP 002a from GL, it was one of the more tired ones out of Pa last month. The recent WIKI posting on these is very usefull. Went though the usual filter stuff, tank cleaning. I was spoiled with my last year's purchase of a mep 701a, which had over 400 hrs, but started and charged with just oil, fuel and battery. This new one is another story. Needing sheet metal work, starter rewiring and selector switch unstuck. Still don't know if it makes power. The fuel tank had the smell of stale gasoline. To make it short, the IP shaft turned out to be snapped. I cranked it over with glow plugs out after doing the oil & fuel filters, but before I freed up the IP. When it did not send fuel to injectors, I worked the throttle linkage and tried to unstick pump as outlined in the Wiki. I will never know if the shaft was broken before or after I spun the engine. Looking for a replacement pump. On the bright side, I now know my way around this rig a lot better than the one that worked from the start.

Attachments

ranchhopper

I just got one with 2.2 hours on it couldnt get it to start had fuel to the IP but nothing to the lines one of our members here gave me a list of things it may be and low and behold got her started today. Turns out the fuel shut off solenoid rod was stiff from sitting so long a little PB blaster and it fired up right away after getting the rod to move freely.

Keith_J

The injection pump is prone to seizing the control collar mechanism, either the collar seizes on the piston(collar slides to regulate injected quantity) or the shaft seizes in the precision bore. The precise fit of the shaft in the bore is what seals the 8 PSI of fuel from leaking. It doesn't take much to seize this shaft.

If the collar is seized, forcing it with the control lever can break the pawl. The control shaft and pawl can be removed with the injection pump installed, saving the timing procedure. It is difficult to access the two screws and more importantly, bend the locking tabs out. And it takes even more patience and a dental mirror to reinstall the control lever and get the pawl into the slot on the control collar. It can be done. Use grease to retain the pawl in the control lever shaft, it too is a precise fit.

When the generator (002A) is consuming 1/2 gallon per hour, the stroke length of the injector pump is about 0.015". The maximum stroke is about 0.045". Just keep that in mind when working on the injection pump. Clearances are on the 1/10,000th of an inch or less. The injection pump doesn't react well to dirt.

dependable

Well the above post was last year's lesson, bought a rebuilt IP from Delk's, had to fix master switch and tighten some contacts, starter ect... and got that one running and charging fine.

This year I bought a nice looking MEP-002 with low hrs and an ASK. Took off part of ASK to fix forklift damage. Cranked engine with front bolt and it hung up. Suspected water in cylinder because exhaust pipe had an extra pipe fitting pointing up to rain. May be a problem common on ASK equipped units. Removed glow plugs and squirted in some light oil. Could not turn over with bolt (knew it would sheer due to torque) so I engaged a bar with the flywheel mounting bolts. When it finally did free up (there was a rust ring in addition to hydraulic locking) I was drenched with rusty water and lube residue. Missed my face by not that much. Had just been looking right at it. The part that missed me shot out 7 ft. Picture my wife took shows where water hit my shirt. Glad it is freed up, think it will be fine.

Attachments

Isaac-1

Glad you managed to get it free, although it would have probably been better if you had let it soak for a week or so. I have had good results using a 50/50 mix of ATF and Marvel Mystery oil on the past in such circumstances. If you have to rebuild, be aware the military does not use oversized pistons in these generators at rebuild time, instead they press in fresh sleeves. (there was a seller on ebay a while back selling sleeves fairly cheap (I think $50 or so per paid, but I may be off), search on Onan sleeve).

Ike

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks