• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Life at 50 after the military...A new begining

1954 COE

Today I had the honor and privilege along with another Steel Soldiers member and his wife to attend the retirement ceremonies of
one of our own. After 31 years of service to his country, he and 37 other men and women started their new lives as civilians today. Listening to the credits as each soldier came up to receive their honor's along with their spouses and children, it was amazing that to a person, each had spent more time in the military than not. This in itself speaks volumes. These men and women who had dedicated their lives to serving this great country, chose to make the sacrifices necessary to keep it so, and this nation would not be so if they had not done so. Not just today, but everyday.

In the short time that I have had to get to know this soldier, he has demonstrated what could best be determined as "Esprit de Corps", a term I had to look up to make sure its intended meaning met its mark with this individual. I quote;
Esprit de corps is a French expression meaning literally "Spirit of Corps" or "Spirit of Body" in English language. It denotes a strong shared team spirit, mutual solidarity and fellowship, sense of duty, and devotion to a cause among the members of a group.
We stood in the back of a long line of soldiers whose purpose was to shake his hand and thank him for the outstanding job he had done. I also did so, and congratulated and thanked the other men and women for their service to our country too.
It was then that I truly realized what we are losing on the governmental side as over 700 years of experience was about to embark
on a new life, and this tribal knowledge was leaving with them. This loss will be felt, and we are a little less whole because of it.

Having met his parents for the first time, it was easy to see why he turned out as well as he did much to the chagrin of all who were present at the reception afterward.[thumbzup] To most civilians, a Colonel in the military doesn't necessarily have a lot of meaning. Few realize what it takes, both academically and professionally to attain such a rank. The distance between these men and women who are leaving and the ranks that are coming up from behind to fill their spots is growing. Obviously this is not a good thing.

Personally I am thankful for his friendship and the generosity he has bestowed on me. He has helped on numerous occasions, without
regard to personal time and expense.

All of you here know him either directly or indirectly with his help in determining the history and origin of you military truck. This has
been his task, and his reward was that he was able to help with your charitable contributions. This too will be missed.

I ask that we all take a moment and wish he, his wife, and children the best of luck in pursuing what will be the next leg of what
we all hope is a very lengthy journey. God Bless and God Speed.

Carnac, I guess the rest will be up to you.:clinto:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the excellent post. A HUGE debt of gratitude to all who have served.....ya all know the saying, "All gave some, some gave ALL!" God's Grace be with you wherever the road may lead. Thank You!

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
1954 COE thanks for a great post! Carnac, thank you for your service and as the say in the U.S. Coast Guard, Fair Winds and Following Seas Colonel. Enjoy your retirement and don't forget your past.

3rdaavbn

God Bless all veterans! I only wish that all who have served, get the exit ceremony they deserve. I know of several, personally, that have stowed their gear and had their final salute after some 20 plus years, with an honorable discharge, from some civilian federal employee, with no fanfare and no ceremony. It is sad.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats! best wishes on what's next. enjoy not being in for a bit before you start what's next if you can. sit back, drink beer, grow a beard. Enjoy!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was the other SS member, along with my wife, that had the honor and privilege of attending the ceremony. To CARNAC and his lovely family, congratulations. To Rick (1954 COE), very well put as it expresses my sentiments completely. What is left to do is that trail ride into the sunset. It doesn't need to be just once, or at sunset, but we have always been too busy to hook up with our trucks out where they really belong.

Attachments

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
It was an absolute pleasure to have all of you there and supporting us. I appreciate everything you and Vick had done for me over the years. Now it's time to find a new job, a new place to live and see what happens.

Rick fed the extended family with his world famous smoked pork butt and ribs. Vick pulled my sorry but off the road after driving 120 miles each way to do so. I'd still be walking home if it hadn'tbeen for him. Wonderful friends and it seems like if they don't know someone here in town, then they know someone who knows someone that does.

I hope my folks didn't talk your ears off.

Above all else, I'm really glad you all came.

Edit,

I guess Vick was posting the previous post with a photo. Now I guess the hit squads are on the way. LOL.

Now you know why I have been a little busy lately, mind preoccupied and not in my normal cheerful, happy self---well maybe take the last part off.

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know someone who knows someone that can help with hit squads. No worries.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC, concratulations, job well done. Thank you for your service, dedication, and wisdom. Take a deep breath and enjoy the future. If passing through Kentucky, look us up, I'll buy you drink.
JC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks