• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lifting sling bar

earnie

thanks for the pm and the drawings,
i will get a set made for my beast,
maadog sugested a valid point on these, dont drive with them as when te rear suspesion articulates it could cause damage to the rear suspension, ie the pin or the bracket in wich the lifting bar is attached to
thanks again for the drawings and pics
these will come into use very soon

txdodge43man

"bracket that was to be put against the side of the bed"? not sure what that is are you talking about the supports that weld to the C on the side of the bed? picture?

txdodge43man

ok here is what I think about that as long as you at not doing off roading or any major suspintion travel it should be ok. but with that said im sure it is not worth the risk of damage to drive around with them on.2cents

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the lift bars were designed of ship side loading though also used (but not often) for a helo lift, the pin on top of the spring pack is what is used, we used to just use a 1" sling and shackle on each side, it was faster then trying to fight the spring pack pins.
we used to lift with a crane or wrecker and load when a truck could not be towed, as well as ship side offloading with shipboard cranes

Jake0147

Yes, one could certainly drive with them installed. Before heading out though, you'll need to take a careful look at how the suspension works. The pin on top of the leaf pack (to which the sling adapter attaches) moves with the spring. On flat ground, I'm sure it'd rattle like crazy, but it would ride right along. On uneven ground, the whole spring pack rotates fore and aft to keep both axles on the ground. A fixed bar to a fixed point on the bed would not be a good thing. To break this down to a "can" or "can not" be done question is not appropriate. It's like saying if you have a flat front tire, you CAN drive to the other side of your driveway to repair it, therefore you CAN drive on a flat front tire. I not recommend driving into town that way to see if you can find a service station. In both cases, common sense applied to the situation and the end goal would have to prevail.

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the spring pack lift pins cleaned up and working today! Soaked them in PB Blaster and after a little soak they came out with a light hammer tap. Now waiting on the Steel Soldiers Air Wing to get mobilized so we can get a Chinook lift.

Attachments

AZDeuce

I've got these lift bars off of a USMC truck that I parted out, on my current Deuce which is Ex-USAF, US ARMY, & CALIFORNIA NG. The truck is under coated but it was never a USMC vehicle....go figure.

It will be USMC when I'm done with it!

I run my truck in some extreme rough terrain from time to time, and have never had no problem with those bars twisting either themselves or my bed. Of course, I'm running 395s which hit the bottom of the bed probably before the spring pack can articulate fully.

On slightly different note: THANKS to whomever posted up those 2/12 USMC Deuce pictures, Those brought back some memories. I was in D Btry, 2nd BN, 12th Mar Regiment (105mm Howitzer Btry) in 1975 when I was in Okinawa, our trucks were marked EXACTLY like the one in the picture. I couldn't make out the Btry unit marking on the door but the door stencil would have been:

The Third Marine Division emblem in the center (sometimes if we were bored we would paint in black "shadows" on the bottom sides of the yellow "star"). At the 9 O'Clock position, just outside of the emblem, would be the Battalion number, in this case a 2 for the 2nd Bn. At the 3 O'Clock position would be the Regiment number in this case a 12 for the 12 Mar Regiment. Then dead on top would have been the unit designation in my case a D for Delta Btry.

I can't make out the marking on the truck in the picture it might be a F, but probably not as if I remember correctly F Btry was a 155MM Towed unit, and they would have had 5-Tons.

Anyway that's a cool picture, it brought back a lot of memories most good, some lets just say "memorable."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks