• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lightning strikes twice!! Another starter mystrer

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

So I spent a few hours yesterday swapping out my old starter by myself. The old starter worked always cold but once the truck reached operating temp, it would take a light precise hammer blow to the solenoid to start it. So I thought the solenoid was bad.
So after the new to me (working take out) starter was installed, the truck started fine several times cold and I was happy. Tonight, I took the M109 for a 15 minute drive. I shut it off while I ran into a buddies house. About ten minutes later I attempted to start the truck. Same exact problem! I tapped the solenoid very lightly and it fired up like usual. Could it be that two separate starters have the exact same hot start problem or is it something else? I am tired of lifting up my hood everywhere I go and finding a 2nd person to hold the button. Could it be something else before I give up and buy a brand new starter and have the same problem????
Also while holding the starter button down when the engine is warn, I don’t even hear a click or anything. 1st strike with the hammer starts it. I have searched this topic and usually a starter replacement fixes it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Your truck is cursed. There is a JU JU demon in it.

Send $99.95 for Wreckerman's Deuce Exorcism Kit.

Guarenteed to get all the Hoodoos out of your deuce.

Don't bother with money orders, credit cards, paypal or those other payment options....send good old greenbacks in a plain envelope.

Seriously though......there may be a bad ground somewhere that is aggravated by the truck being warm......I've had stranger problems.

Prob just have to get a few of the guys together and drink beer, talk about women, sports, women, racing, women and oh yea.....trouble shoot the truck.

It works for us dumb old southern rednecks.

cornrichard

I had a similar problem with a 460 ford. I built a cheap and dirty heat shield out of aluminum for it and had no more problems. The starter body, not the solenoid needed the precision tap on the ford. I may have grounded the starter better with the bolt and hose clamp secured shield. Anyway it worked, good luck!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be high resistance grounds or the starter just full of dirt and junk. They are simple, take your old one apart, give it a good cleaning and lube the linkage and then re install it to see what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks