• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lizard Skin Questions

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who here has sprayed the lizard skin sound and or temp control material inside their HMMWV cab? Currently converting our M1123 from a 2 door to 4 door and figured I might as well coat the insides instead of repainting them. For those of you who have used the lizard skin, do you then put the factory insulated vinyl back in on top of the lizard skin, or just use the lizard skin as your finished floor like you would with bed liner? I've heard reports that its somewhat pliable and not great to use in areas like the bed where things will sit or be sliding around on top of it, so wondered how it would hold up to boots and things in the floor plans?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've rolled it on with most applications. I have sprayed it with a abrasion gun from tractor supply. Rolling was my preferred method. I use it then fiberglass/rubber mat directly above it in not very waterproof trucks

phemer

Hey TJones - GREAT STUFF!!!!

I've sprayed 2gal of both the sound deadener and the ceramic thermal insulator product by Lizard Skin w/ their spray gun they sell. After developing a system for pouring more product from bucket to (tiny) spray-gun hopper (major pain in the butt), it went well! I sprayed it w/ a bit more air than recommended, so the product came out more... blotchy? than what the factory recommends - but fantastic results.

I sprayed the tunnel, floors, ceiling, rear wheel wells, cargo area and inside of each rear slant-back quarter panel.

Although I can't speak for the thermal efficacy, I did take baseline decibel meter readings at idle before and after both products. In addition, I did add a metric ton of automotive jute and double-plush automotive carpet. Results showed a 13db reduction - so their products definitely do make a difference, or at least contribute to a massive improvement in sound insulation.

For ceiling insulation, I purchased some 3/4" Styrofoam panels from Home Depot (traditionally used behind stucco) and sandwiched a layer of jute between the styrofoam and the roof. I wrapped the foam panels w/ headliner upholstery.

Great results. I'm actually considering picking up a couple more gallons and focusing more around the engine side of each footbox.

Let me know if you have any sticking points w/ application.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've sprayed 2gal of both the sound deadener and the ceramic thermal insulator product by Lizard Skin w/ their spray gun they sell. After developing a system for pouring more product from bucket to (tiny) spray-gun hopper (major pain in the butt), it went well! I sprayed it w/ a bit more air than recommended, so the product came out more... blotchy? than what the factory recommends - but fantastic results.

Any trouble with adhesion? Pretty pricy and want to avoid failures.
How meticulous were you in prepping?

I sprayed the tunnel, floors, ceiling, rear wheel wells, cargo area and inside of each rear slant-back quarter panel.

Did you spray the top of the tunnels after install? Protect the bolt head to facilitate removal? I sprayed the bottom of my tunnels with some leftover
POR19 undercoating.

Although I can't speak for the thermal efficacy, I did take baseline decibel meter readings at idle before and after both products. In addition, I did add a metric ton of automotive jute and double-plush automotive carpet. Results showed a 13db reduction - so their products definitely do make a difference, or at least contribute to a massive improvement in sound insulation.

So the 13db was Lizardskin only?

For ceiling insulation, I purchased some 3/4" Styrofoam panels from Home Depot (traditionally used behind stucco) and sandwiched a layer of jute
between the styrofoam and the roof. I wrapped the foam panels w/ headliner upholstery.

What's the purpose of the jute?
What did you use to adhere the jute and Styrofoam? Just spray on upholstery glue?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a Humvee, but results should be similar -

I sprayed my M1028A2 cab with Lizard Skin from the bottom of the dash on the firewall to bottom of rear window level.
Before, when parked after a run at 50+ mph, my floor and transmission hump would measure around 85*+, and your accelerator foot would get uncomfortably hot. After application, the same spots after a good 50+ mph run were at 62* (before floor mat went in)

It is reportedly not very durable on floor/truck beds, and will wear through. I put a factory-type rubber floor mat in the 1028. With that and the Lizard Skin, I went from wearing earplugs when I drove, to being able to chat with a passenger at 'highway' speed.

Cheers

phemer

IDMACK3 - Great questions!

[/QUOTE]
Any trouble with adhesion? Pretty pricy and want to avoid failures.
How meticulous were you in prepping?
[/QUOTE]

Zero problems w/ adhesion. My prepping included rotary sanding drill attachments - like most people would use on an angle grinder. I scuffed the CARC in most areas fairly well, showing bare aluminum in spots. I then wiped a few times w/ wet microfiber rags. I still would not call my level of prep any kind of pro-level quality. Just scuffed and wiped to remove dust. Zero problems.

[/QUOTE]
Did you spray the top of the tunnels after install? Protect the bolt head to facilitate removal? I sprayed the bottom of my tunnels with some leftover
POR19 undercoating.
[/QUOTE]

I only sprayed the inside of the chassis. I didn't do anything from the underside. I did NOTHING to protect bolt heads, however, when there were bolt holes (like driver seat mounting nuts held captive in the chassis), I threaded a portion of the bolt into the hole then wrapped w/ a pinch of tin foil. I also wrapped gas/brake pedal along w/ wires in tin foil as recommended by Lizard Skin application guides.

[/QUOTE]
So the 13db was Lizardskin only?
[/QUOTE]

The 13db reduction was seen after LS products AND jute/carpet.

[/QUOTE]
What's the purpose of the jute?
What did you use to adhere the jute and Styrofoam? Just spray on upholstery glue?
[/QUOTE]

The purpose of the jute was just an underlayment between the chassis and the carpet as used in most automotive carpet applications. Just an extra layer of sound/thermal insulation.

I did NOT use any spray adhesive on the chassis - because removing at a later date would be near impossible. I just laid in the jute over the top of the dried LS.

As far as upholstering the styrofoam - oooooofff... Okay so I learned the hard way that spray adhesive MELTS styrofoam. The system I found success w/ is to spray adhesive the back of the headliner material, giving it a minute then quickly pressing onto the styrofoam panels and getting a nice, even pressure on for a few additional minutes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks