• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV at DRMO, spec's? Engine?

SEAFIRE

We run two converted M35A2 as brush trucks. The other day at the DRMO yard I saw that they are starting to get some LMTV's in... :twisted:

They have a nice tan STEWART & STEVENSON model with 16000 miles on it, great shape, great tires, including the spare.

What kind of engine do these have? how fast do they go on the highway? Do you think they would make a good brush fire truck?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think all the electronics would not be well suited for the task at hand. The military has very deep pockets for repairs. Fire departments not so much.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks nice. I'm not sure how things would work for a fire department, but I (a civilian) am having trouble getting parts for my MTV.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A google search for the M number plus " specs " will bring up the answer your looking for , or maybe even googling LMTV specs might do it.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend owns a wild fire suppression company in New Mexico. He bought one of those a few years back from Stuart and Stevenson and turned it into a Fire Engine. It has been on lots of fires all across the southwest and has been a great truck for him. It runs all in the mountains and in the flat land and is an awesome truck! He also has a few M925a2s that are tactical water tenders and he said he would like to get more of the lmtv's to replace them as the years go by.

I know lmtvs weight 6-7000 pounds more than a 2.5 ton.
The LMTV's weigh in around 14,500 - 15,000 lbs which is only about 1,000 - 2,000 lbs more that a deuce and a half.

I am interested to hear what the top speed in an LMTV is. Many times the tires on MV's are the limiting factor on top speed but I believe that the tires pictured on the one above are rated for 81mph.

gunboy1656

One thing not mentioned, the LMTV is also top heavy. I saw an empty truck roll over taking a turn. With as much gear as you would load would not help it balance any better.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
OK, if this is in addition to the M35s then that's one thing. If you're looking to replace the M35's, I personally wouldn't go there.

Good news is it can achieve higher speed on road and it has .

Here's the bad, and there's a lot for a individual/non-profit:
-It's top heavy hence my question on terrain and this is increased when adding a water tank to the top
-high cost of maintenance both routine and if a specific problem goes on like a transmission or engine, you could be in for a big problem
-must have a mechanic to fix it and potentially a computer geek, so no sheet metal and bailing twine fixes
-lot of electronics so a lot to go wrong
-the cab flips forward so you'll have problems putting brush protection on it
-the body is light metal that seems like it would bend pretty easy
-the carrying capacity IS the load limit (unlike a M35 which seems to carry the weight of the world and the moon and Mars on top)

probably some other reasons to boot.

Usually when you read a thread about these trucks they are packed full of negative opinions. Bad electronics, too many electronics, bad ride, not good off road, too ugly, too heavy, too expensive, too hard to work on, too modern, top heavy, not well built, lacks truck nuts, and on, and on, and on. Well, I still want one.

Funny how all the negative opinion doesn't get reflected in the auction prices. I guess it's true, money talks and BS walks.

A google search for the M number plus " specs " will bring up the answer your looking for , or maybe even googling LMTV specs might do it.
This LINK has a lot of good specs. The top speed there is listed at 94kmh (about 58 mph), but I'd be curious to hear what people have actually driven them at and how the ride is at that speed.

Mercunimog404

Banned
The LMTV's weigh in around 14,500 - 15,000 lbs which is only about 1,000 - 2,000 lbs more that a deuce and a half.

I am interested to hear what the top speed in an LMTV is. Many times the tires on MV's are the limiting factor on top speed but I believe that the tires pictured on the one above are rated for 81mph.
No, they sure dont. Ill take a picture of the data plate tomorrow when I get to work. A regular cab 4x4 curb weight is around 18000 pounds. The up armored trucks we have are around 23000 pounds.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
58 is about it.

Not to get into a p'ing match about it but a Delorian also brings big bucks and I'm sure it ain't easy to maintain either. Collector value versus fire house utility are 2 different things. The 900 series trucks were bringing big bucks until the past year or so and now they're down in the 3K range. So assuming all the unarmored ones will get sold off in the coming next few years, the prices on these will be coming down also.

SEAFIRE

OK, if this is in addition to the M35s then that's one thing. If you're looking to replace the M35's, I personally wouldn't go there.

Good news is it can achieve higher speed on road and it has .

Here's the bad, and there's a lot for a individual/non-profit:
-It's top heavy hence my question on terrain and this is increased when adding a water tank to the top
-high cost of maintenance both routine and if a specific problem goes on like a transmission or engine, you could be in for a big problem
-must have a mechanic to fix it and potentially a computer geek, so no sheet metal and bailing twine fixes
-lot of electronics so a lot to go wrong
-the cab flips forward so you'll have problems putting brush protection on it
-the body is light metal that seems like it would bend pretty easy
-the carrying capacity IS the load limit (unlike a M35 which seems to carry the weight of the world and the moon and Mars on top)

probably some other reasons to boot.
Thanks for the info, one of our two mechanics used to be a field mechanic for Stewart and Stevenson for several years before he worked for the county, but I haven't seen him to get his opnion yet.

58 is about it.
Not to get into a p'ing match about it but a Delorian also brings big bucks and I'm sure it ain't easy to maintain either. Collector value versus fire house utility are 2 different things. The 900 series trucks were bringing big bucks until the past year or so and now they're down in the 3K range. So assuming all the unarmored ones will get sold off in the coming next few years, the prices on these will be coming down also.
Must be why these are showing up now, these are at the DRMO yard available to govt agencies only.

Have you ever ridden in a cabover ? I drive one all the time rough and bouncy on a good road.
Yes, we have ridden in a lot of cab-overs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks