• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV rear brake chambers

gjswt19

I have developed a leaking rear brake chamber and need to replace just the diaphragm. I have found only one post that lists the size being a type 9 for the service and a type 12 for the parking. I have called a few truck service centers and they don't carry those sizes. Also while looking there seem to be many different options for those sizes. I am not very familiar with the air brakes systems and the different diaphragms but if anybody has more info on them that would be great

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was probably my post that you saw. Surely a truck parts place can order a diaphragm for you. The ones near me didn't have the size 9 in stock but they could all order it, so that's what I did. The generic replacements are just a diaphragm and do not have the plunger assembly glued to it. I pulled the plunger off the old one, scraped and cleaned the plunger, then used some kind of contact cement to put the plunger on the new diaphragm. So far mine is working fine that way, as best I can tell anyway. With more searching you may be able to find a direct replacement with the plunger assembly on it, but I'm sure it will also be more expensive. There are also part numbers available if you wanted to try purchasing a new whole brake chamber section. Post #2 from my thread has a link to the Haldex catalog where you can look at the wedge brake parts if you want to go that route and look for direct replacements: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140345-Air-Brake-Info-and-Troubleshooting

gjswt19

Thanks for the reply, I just picked up the type 12 from fleetpride and am going to install today. Hopefully that will fix the leak

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply, I just picked up the type 12 from fleetpride and am going to install today. Hopefully that will fix the leak
The size 12 is for the parking brake portion. If that is the one that's leaking, I would maybe replace the whole piggyback assembly rather than mess around with the spring in that portion of the chamber. The smaller size 9 is for the service brake and is what I replaced on mine.

Reworked LMTV

The size 12 is for the parking brake portion. If that is the one that's leaking, I would maybe replace the whole piggyback assembly rather than mess around with the spring in that portion of the chamber. The smaller size 9 is for the service brake and is what I replaced on mine.
How did this work?

muddiver

That was probably my post that you saw. Surely a truck parts place can order a diaphragm for you. The ones near me didn't have the size 9 in stock but they could all order it, so that's what I did. The generic replacements are just a diaphragm and do not have the plunger assembly glued to it. I pulled the plunger off the old one, scraped and cleaned the plunger, then used some kind of contact cement to put the plunger on the new diaphragm. So far mine is working fine that way, as best I can tell anyway. With more searching you may be able to find a direct replacement with the plunger assembly on it, but I'm sure it will also be more expensive. There are also part numbers available if you wanted to try purchasing a new whole brake chamber section. Post #2 from my thread has a link to the Haldex catalog where you can look at the wedge brake parts if you want to go that route and look for direct replacements: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140345-Air-Brake-Info-and-Troubleshooting
On my truck the back right started leaking so I took it apart. Found the parking side with a broken spring.. Sent Fleetpride request for parts..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks