• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking diff

tjmarco

Does any body make a locking diff other than millplus? I read here that you could modify one for a geo tracker to fit,just dont remember the link ,I thougth I would try here again before I weld (lincon locker) it!

DicedDeuceMan

you will need the sami locker, but you will have to trim some inside of the halfs or on the gear ends. also you will have to make new shafts to come out of your locker and bolt your u-joint yokes to . The case is easy to do, but splining both ends of the 3.5" shafts are key to success.

Needed:
Locker
Lathe
Mill
Rotary table with index on it (degree reading on od)
Carbide tiped bit for mill, V for cutting splines
I believe 1.125 is the shaft OD needed for this, "chrome moly of course"
A long weekend figuring out how many times you must turn that indexer around, and how many degrees.
And if you want to thrash the mutt, send it down for a light rockwell 45 hardning.

Quit easy.... :roll:

Attachments

tjmarco

I do not have the know how ore the tools to do it,and if I take it to a machine shop ,I'm afraid that they will look at me like I'm crazy. And yes ,I do use my mutt hard, [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJX1dSvt04E[/media] .Anybody want to doit for me???? How much??? If not ,the rear will get welded .Thanks

DicedDeuceMan

When you weld it, you will loose some turnability. Also, hardened gears will shatter months after hard use (rock crawlin) The detroit locker will unlock on corners, it will help. I broke 2 rear, then locked it. Then broke countless shafts, ujoints, twisted yokes at the rear. If you notice, I have 9.00x16 ndt's on my mutt. lifted 2 inches, and added x-0 skeleton on front. Mutt also got the Sami transfercase installed in it, this gave it creaper gearing, also the more torque that probally kept breaking stuff. You might be allright if you keep your 7.00x16's on it (welding gears) preheat gears to 400, fill in, reheat and let cool (wraped in insulation)

Attachments

tjmarco

NICE MUTT! Mine has a 2.5" lift (longer coils) . So yours has Detroit Lockers??for a sami? I was thinkng of the Lock right's, I know the Detroits are better. I think I found somebody to do the machine work. I like the exo cage,I was thinking of something similar.

DicedDeuceMan

ya got me thinking now, It might have been a lockright, I think It's the same principal of a detroit, so I might have confused the two.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks