• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockout HUBS for M-923?

Shotgun

Quick question, my buddy wants me to go look at a M-923 that's in my area that is real cheap. Instead of a M-35-A2 that's across the country from me. The Question is: Can you put Lockout HUBS on it like you can on the M-35's? Not that well versed on 5 tons as of yet, as I have been looking at the M-35's. I did go through the forum looking for it, but didn't find a discussion on them. Thanks Shotgun

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer your question, yes its POSSIBLE but not probable. JATonka has been working on some, and I believe a couple others have discussed, but the cost is in the 1500+ area potentially. With the power steering on the 5 tons its really not as much of a drivability issue other than some additional parts wear, but are you putting thousands of miles on a year? If not then the additional wear is invisible to the owner as they just don't wear out.

Vintage iron

I was working on making a set but found out that it was to much machining and they would be to weak. It takes 5 mins. To pull the stock outer hubs off and replace them with desplined hubs. Red Baron customs sells desplined hubs for $400. A set

Shotgun

Thanks for the information, I was thinking it would help with mileage. I know it helps with steering on it's little brother. Greg

Vintage iron

I can say for sure it helps with power. I put a set on my friend Martin Cox's truck. There is a noticeable difference in power, steering and front tire wear. If Martin wasn't always pulling a tank with his M923 I am sure we would see a difference in his MPG too.

frogman2

IIRC Warn used to make them for the early 5 tons some of the local power company trucks used them.Would they be the same bolt pattern and axle shafts?

quickfarms

The manufacturers of the powered front axles do not offer them for the large axles that are used on a semi sized truck. They do offer them for the smaller trucks, less than 26 k GVW.

Some of the axles it is due to the planetary reduction hubs. I have also been told this is due to breakage of the small parts caused by the torque of the Diesel engines. This is similar issue to not putting a 923 in reverse in low range.

frogman2

800 and 900 series trucks are not planetary so that does not apply.Begging a guy right now to sell me his last set for a 5 ton I tracked down.Anybody have any 925 lockers from a partout or bobber conversion they want to get rid of?

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jatonka is working on them and they might be pricey at first but they will come down as they become more popular. You will notice a horsepower increase, on top of less tire wear, plus the mpg will increase. Thats a lot of extra weight that wont have to spin and should be worth it. Or just pull the drive axles out and it will do the same thing. Do that to the first tandem axle in the rear and you will notice a much better turning radius as well as more mpg, etc.

It might be similar to the transmission not being put in reverse but the transmission is a completely different manufacturer and has a completely different application. I guess the only way to truly test it is to see what happens after extended use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks