• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FL Looking at getting a M35A2 very soon, who would be a good insurance company for it and is it really a pain to get them registered in florida?

Hey everyone I'm back after a good while, so I've really been dying to get myself a M35A2 for eons and the time is almost there!!! But I've done some reading on how it can sometimes be a big pain like pulling teeth from a rooster and then there's guys on here that had no problems at all getting title transfers and insurance on the deuces. Any how I'm 21 years old and yes I have a good feeling I'm going to be paying more than y'all but I feel it will be worth it cause it's such a neat truck and I'm the type that'll just pay for it to be insured for the entire year or at least half a year until I have to pay up again. I know Im a young buck and that insurance prices for guys my age are usually astronomical, heck I have a 03 Buick century that's my daily and I only pay $162 a month but starting next year its $188:mad::rant:. But is there any of y'all that own a deuce and who do you have for insurance and what are y'all paying monthly? And who would be good in specializing in these monsters? I've been reading about gulfway and they give you good deals, but does anyone on here have any personal experience with gulfway? If so how do you like it and is it a easy process, hassle? And last question it may be stupid but heck I'll just ask it anyhow, is it honestly easy to get a deuce title transferred into your name? Or are the horror stories I've been reading due to dmv people not knowing how to do their job. All is appreciated and thanks for the advice, tips and as always criticism lolH ave a good night y'all

Mike

ToddJK

I live in MI, but I'm insured through Hagerty for $458 per year full coverage. I know there are other insurance threads on here, it seems to vary by individual and location. I'd research it some and see if that helps.

Thanks FloridaAKM, sounds like these monsters are fairly cheap to insure(and hopefully for a 21 year old guy) but I got a feeling it'll all pan out good for some reason, other thing is I have to keep it at a storage lot cause it's so huge and I don't have a big enough property to keep it on. Thanks for the input tho

ToddJK

Thanks FloridaAKM, sounds like these monsters are fairly cheap to insure(and hopefully for a 21 year old guy) but I got a feeling it'll all pan out good for some reason, other thing is I have to keep it at a storage lot cause it's so huge and I don't have a big enough property to keep it on. Thanks for the input tho
I thought I was gonna have to get a storage for my deuce but I improvised. The township said I can't park in the yard, front, side, or the back. Now why are they that picky is beyond me as I don't live in a HOA area, but whatever. I would have to get a permit to expand my driveway, have the new dimensions approved, pay more taxes, wait for them to finalize my approval, pay more taxes after, then pay my summer tax, do the driveway expansion, then notify them, they send out some goofball from the township to check it over and I pay more taxes. Well...I just did some yard landscaping with bricks and river rock, just so happens it butts up against my driveway and I just like to park the deuce on it and I didn't pay any taxes or fines and they can't say anything. As you can see in the photo's, that's how I did my drive....my landscaping. Not sure if that'll help or apply to you, at this time, but maybe it could later or someone else who reads this.

Attachments

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A question, if you are paying close to $2k a year to insure a 18 year old vehicle, is there some problem with your driving record other than your age? That will make a significant difference on what you pay or if you can get insurance. Have you asked your insurance company what they would charge to insure it?

Collector insurance is inexpensive, but you can not use the vehicle as a daily driver and it it cannot be your only vehicle. You still have to own and insure another vehicle for your daily driver.

Sorry Tow4, just got around to your message, outside of 1 speeding ticket and taking the class to keep points off my license and insurance from going out the roof that's about it on my record. Well wouldn't they want a actual vin no. Of the truck? Can I just say an example like a 1988 amc general M35A2 truck to the insurance company? Who do you have for insurance Tow4 for your deuce or other military trucks? I've heard good about Gulfway insurance here in Florida. Only thing with Hagerty I've heard is you must have it in a barn or a enclosed shelter to have it insured under them. But when I do get a M35A2, I think I'm either going to go with state farm or Gulfway, depends on which ones cheaper to insure a year.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"and is it really a pain to get them registered in florida?"

You could look it up to stay/remain current.
Legislators, You know,the humans that don't work for a living, make
new rules and laws all the time, almost every day.
Sortah kindah depends on Whom pays Who

No TM for this so I can NOT say
It is in the TM.

Whatever state one interacts with One will find the the rules are much different state to state.
That is why we have a lot of states to goto..........

Study your state and study and vote?

M.Ellis

State Farm 600.00 bucks a year, that’s with antique tags, full coverage, full tort, and insured for 40k. I know my trucks not worth that but it wasn’t much money to it so why not? Oh I’m in PA. Antique tags in PA require no state inspection, and no registration. I used the vin on my data plate to register the truck. Just needed to email a pic of it to the notary and insurance company. Easy took me literally 2 hours to do everything.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I originally had my M35A2 with Statefarm. Since then I have used Gulfway as my agent. My MV policies were originally underwritten by Travelers with Gulfway as the agent. Travelers no longer offers collector insurance so Gulfway set me up with Hagerty. I currently have two ex-military trucks and one trailer insured with a Hagerty collectors policy.

I don't think a VIN number will help you because they are non-standard. I told Statefarm what the model was (M35A2) and they figured it out from there. I also provided the VIN number for the policy but it didn't tell them what the vehicle was. All of the collector insurance companies know what it is when you give them the M model.

Thanks Tow, so these collector companies are quite familiar with these trucks? But I may go with state farm tho(if it goes smoothly and the quote is right). Yeah I hear people just say don't say the word military or they will want to refuse or it'll scramble it all up from there(bunch of BS). But thanks guys for the tips and experience stories of insuring the M35A2.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Tow, so these collector companies are quite familiar with these trucks? But I may go with state farm tho(if it goes smoothly and the quote is right). Yeah I hear people just say don't say the word military or they will want to refuse or it'll scramble it all up from there(bunch of BS). But thanks guys for the tips and experience stories of insuring the M35A2.
If you already have insurance on something, call those folks and ask. It is a crap shoot - but don't be discouraged if you get told no. A good example is that I called my regular State Farm agent. Their particular group doesn't insure them, but he gave me a reference to a different State Farm agency and they were happy to insure my trucks. Just don't take no for an answer...

Adam Brice

Thanks Tow, so these collector companies are quite familiar with these trucks? But I may go with state farm tho(if it goes smoothly and the quote is right). Yeah I hear people just say don't say the word military or they will want to refuse or it'll scramble it all up from there(bunch of BS). But thanks guys for the tips and experience stories of insuring the
Hey everyone I'm back after a good while, so I've really been dying to get myself a M35A2 for eons and the time is almost there!!! But I've done some reading on how it can sometimes be a big pain like pulling teeth from a rooster and then there's guys on here that had no problems at all getting title transfers and insurance on the deuces. Any how I'm 21 years old and yes I have a good feeling I'm going to be paying more than y'all but I feel it will be worth it cause it's such a neat truck and I'm the type that'll just pay for it to be insured for the entire year or at least half a year until I have to pay up again. I know Im a young buck and that insurance prices for guys my age are usually astronomical, heck I have a 03 Buick century that's my daily and I only pay $162 a month but starting next year its $188:mad::rant:. But is there any of y'all that own a deuce and who do you have for insurance and what are y'all paying monthly? And who would be good in specializing in these monsters? I've been reading about gulfway and they give you good deals, but does anyone on here have any personal experience with gulfway? If so how do you like it and is it a easy process, hassle? And last question it may be stupid but heck I'll just ask it anyhow, is it honestly easy to get a deuce title transferred into your name? Or are the horror stories I've been reading due to dmv people not knowing how to do their job. All is appreciated and thanks for the advice, tips and as always criticism lolH ave a good night y'all

Mike
Hi Mike. I'm not sure about Florida, as I'm in Arizona, but I just bought a deuce with a title, and got it registered for $71 for 5 years. Went with State farm, as an antique (mines a 1970), and 500 miles or less a year, I'm paying $21 for 6 months of liability and towing service.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks