• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for old Popular Science LTD 465 Hyper cycle article

oddshot

Hey ... long time no see.

I'm trying to give a young Air Force Captain, and fellow Steel Soldier, a hand with a thesis he is writing on the hyper-cycle multi-fuel engine.

I know that either Popular Science, Popular Mechanics or Mechanics Illustrated did a pretty big article on the 465LTD when it was being developed for the military. I remember that the article had a good description of the hyper cycle chamber and included a number of pictures and drawings. I believe the article is from the 50's or 60's.

I found the article on the internet more than 5 years ago, but have lost the information. I've just done about a 2 hour search of my files and the internet ... no joy.

If you know where I can find this article, or have a copy of it, I know this young Captain (and ME!!!) would appreciate the help.

Thank you.

Ted

Well, have you searched the Popular Science archives? If it appeared in that magazine sometime in the 1950s or 1960s it would be in the archive. I hope it isn't against the forum's rule to post the url of the web page that directs you to the PS archives; I'm sure I'll hear about it one way or the other.

http://www.popsci.com/archives

oddshot

We have a winner.

Well, actually 2 of them.

The article in Popular Science, Oct. 1962, pg 112, was not the article I was looking for.

The one in Popular Mechanics, June, 1963, pg 110 was the one I was thinking of. Thank you.

Also a big thanks to GR for reminding me about that Spray Modeling doc. I forgot about that one. Good data on the MAN cycle.

Thanks All, I'm sure this info will help with the Captain's Masters Thesis.

oddshot

Well, have you searched the Popular Science archives? If it appeared in that magazine sometime in the 1950s or 1960s it would be in the archive.

http://www.popsci.com/archives
I didn't know that I could do that, but won't forget it. Pretty neat tool. Thanks.

I hope it isn't against the forum's rule to post the url of the web page that directs you to the PS archives; I'm sure I'll hear about it one way or the other.
If you get any heat about it ... just blame me. Dang old hippy ... always causing a ruckus.rofl

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"The bugs are all out. Performance is proven." They are talking about the LDS-427. Love it. That engine was not destined for a long and happy life in MVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks