• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for pictures of MRAP rims on Humvee

As the title states I am looking for some pictures of mrap rims on our beloved trucks. Recently I have been wondering how this might look I know some have tried it. So send em and lets see how they look! Thanks ~Reno

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While there are a couple companies that make an adapter to put MRAP wheel on the 8x6.5 bolt pattern, the issue comes in that these are basically a semi truck beadlock rim.
I can't tell you for certain, but I don't think anyone makes a low enough profile tire to put on these rims and still make it fit under a HMMWV. HMMWV is stock with 37" tires, the MRAP is 46". The largest tire that fits comfortably on the HMMWV is 40", though with body lift and suspension lift I believe you can go as high as 42" before rubbing during sharp turns becomes a serious issue.

So semi tires likely won't work with the HMMWV, and standard light truck tires likely have too small/thin of beads to lock properly with them, defeating the purpose of even having a beadlock rim.

I may be mistaken with the above info, but I spent a little while searching and can't find any proof anyone has used them with a HMMWV, though they do seem popular with some of the "lets massively jack my truck up until I can't climb into it without a ladder" crowd.

I believe I have found some 40 inch military tires that should be the mrap rims. They are 335/80r20. I could be completely wrong tho.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think those tires might fit.

The ones I see all weigh about 120 or so lbs, so with aluminum rim they won't be all that much more weight than the stock wheel with run flat.

Only issue I see here though is the weight is all going to be further out. Any imbalance is going to be a lot worse with these than the stockers.

Most people go to different wheels and tires to try to reduce the overall weight along with looks, going this route will make it heavier. (on the other hand though, I kind of like how the tread looks on the MPT 80 and MPT 70E continentals. The Michelin XZSL aren't bad looking either.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
335s are generally pretty pricey. Especially the perellis. A 12.5r20 is a cheaper option and are 40in tall . They are mpt tires so getting them to set the bead is fun.

There are adapter plates for 8 on 6.5 to 10 lug budd. So a plate to 330mm should not be hard. They will be a little heavy made in steel though

I found some perallis in the 335/80r20 for around 250 a tire which is about what I payed for each tire on my car. Being able to find military surplus tires is a huge benefit because they tend to be cheaper.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Plus
I found some perallis in the 335/80r20 for around 250 a tire which is about what I payed for each tire on my car. Being able to find military surplus tires is a huge benefit because they tend to be cheaper.

Plus your freight depending on where in the us you are located. They are also 2011 and 12 date codes and they tend to sidewall crack. Some folks use boot polish to conceal the sidewall cracks so be sure to inspect them.

Plus
Plus your freight depending on where in the us you are located. They are also 2011 and 12 date codes and they tend to sidewall crack. Some folks use boot polish to conceal the sidewall cracks so be sure to inspect them.
I figured shipping would be freight and expensive. Thanks for the info on the sidewall crack. Im looking at some continentals of that size aswell.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not exactly an MRAP wheel but....... if I really wanted to go up to 40" rubber on a HMMWV I would choose no other than the softest, lightest version (=132J) of the 12.5R20 MPT80 Continental and mount it on a custom-made 1-piece MPT wheel, made out of a GKN 20x11" MPT wheel shell and the outer half of a 12-bolt HMMWV wheel, welded in at desired backspace.

(BTW, I know where to find both wheel parts (new & cheap) in the US, if anyone wanted to go this route. Piece of cake really, if I had to do this here...:))

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks