Looking for shop to pull run flats out of some tires (Anywhere Irvine CA and south)

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two older tires I am not going to use. I would like to save the run flats for future use. Anyone in SoCal (Irvine and south) know of a shop (other than Petes and Discount Tire) that I can call?

Barrman

06-03-20.Runflat2.jpgWhich type of run flats? Solid or the rubber donut?

The solid ones just unbolt. It takes a while, but they do come apart.

The donut ones I have had good success removing with a chain or 2" ratchet strap looped around it. Then put an engine hoist over the tire and hook onto whatever you looped around the donut. Start lifting. It takes a lot of pressure to get those things out, but they do come out.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all, the engine hoist idea is a good one. I have donuts. Last night I was thinking chain tire to tree, then chain to pintle.

Barrman

Calving is a good way of describing it. It does look like the tire is giving birth as you do this.

I would suggest not using a tree and a truck to pull them apart. There is a lot of energy released when they do finally separate. Maybe a tree and a winch since that is more controlled, but be ready to dive below the windshield.

NormB

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Calving is a good way of describing it. It does look like the tire is giving birth as you do this.

I would suggest not using a tree and a truck to pull them apart. There is a lot of energy released when they do finally separate. Maybe a tree and a winch since that is more controlled, but be ready to dive below the windshield.

What Tennmogger said AND packing blankets - one or two draped over the cable - would work great.

I’m going to try a simple ratchet come-along shortly when I swap tires on my trailer.

I’ll post pictures. Should work. Safety rope’s a GREAT idea.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks