• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud Bang between 1st gear and Reverse

DeucesWild11

So this is new today. When going into reverse from 1st or another forward gear I am getting a loud bang sometimes a double bang sound. Where should I start looking? Once in gear it's fine, just switching into reverse and I get that bang.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

DeucesWild11

Thanks guys Yeah it's a deuce.. Sprag issues.. Hmm now I will search to figure out what that is.. doesn't sound too good.. I will also check for the greasing of the U joints and check the mounts..Thanks for the tips!

DeucesWild11

Ok with my searching on a Sprag it seems that from my understanding you either have a sprag transfer case or air engaged. Well I have the air engaged switch under the dash that engages the front wheels. So I assume there is no sprag to be broken. I will take a look under the truck tomorrow and check the U joints and T case fluid and such.. Any other ideas?

DeucesWild11

Thanks guys I will check the shaft first, it should be pretty noticeable if there is something loose there. My bet is on that since as I was going very slow with not much force from the engine I am thinking it's that rather than the mounts but then again I have been wrong before..

I should have some time tomorrow to get under there..

HeavySteven thanks for the video!!:beer:

DeucesWild11

OK, looks like things have changed/worsened.. :( Anyway I went under the truck and looked for the loosened bolts and such.. nothing. I greased up the zerks on the U joints on the drive shafts but the one in the back wouldn't take grease for some reason. The zerk looked OK.. Well I climbed in the truck started it up and went very slowly up the driveway. Felt OK, then stopped on the incline and then went up some more.. with the slightly more strain on the rear end from starting on the incline I felt like a slip in gears of the rear end.. Bang bang then it went some more up and bang again.

So to test the new theory that there is some trouble in the rear end. I decided to put it in 4WD (bobbed remember) and flipped the air engaged switch over. With less pressure on the rear end with the front pulling as well the deuce went up the driveway just fine. I went around the block and on a sharp left turn in a cul de sak it made a small bang or two and was fine the rest of the way back.

I am thinking it is something in the rear end like a bad gear somewhere, or perhaps the un-greased rear drive shaft.. Anyone have any ideas on this? Again much appreciated!

212sparky

Hope you have the extra rear member that was cut off. Otherwise it will get expensive quick to ship in the chunk since you have some bad teeth. Change the gear fluid and you will probably find metal in the fluid.

DeucesWild11

Crap.. I was thinking bad teeth somewhere.. I did a quick look at the fluid in the rear differential and it was well.. muddly lookin.. I thought that was a bad sign.. So I assume the bad teeth are in there somewhere..?

I have no experience with replacing an axle but suppose I could do it. Do you think I need a whole new rear end or just a replacement gear? Sorry I am such a novice at this..

Thanks!!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drain the rear diff. If there is metal in there, it will come out. then you can look in with a light or borascope.

Sounds like you need a new diff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks