• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lugnut help (newbie)

So I singled out my deuce tires. I put tire "x" on my stock rims, on the rear axles , is it safe just to use the bud style lugnut to hold the 1 rim on (dish out) wider stance

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to be hauling any significant loads? If you will just be driving around mostly empty, you can get nuts like the fronts and use them on the studs on the rears and ditch the thimbles.

Not hauling any loads. Just offroading a little and street driving, although the bud style lugnut seems to fit tight , I'm just wondering if its safe to drive on until I get those regular lugnuts

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find myself in the unusual position of disagreeing with WillWagner.

Running thimbles alone is generally a bad idea. Here's why-

They weren't designed to be used by themselves and require the outer lug nuts as reinforcement to have the neccessary strength.

The above implies that you could just add the outer lug nut to the thimble and be ok running just one wheel. This isn't the case. The outer lug nut needs the thickness of the 2nd wheel in order to work correctly as reinforcement to the thimble.

Running thimbles by themselves is illegal.

I've seen it done. I haven't seen one break. I have talked to other people who have claimed to have seen them break.

As for me, when I convert a truck to singles, I also replace the lugnuts to the kind that are in the front. Running thimbles alone is something that I would do to get a truck home, but not something I would do as standard operation.

Unloaded and mildly offroading, you'd likely get away with it. But I don't advocate it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks