• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lunette Flipping

blybrook

I know there are several threads about flipping a lunette. Most have great details, but here's how I have found to get it flipped in about 20 minutes without a torch, driving down a bumpy back road or beating the living tar out of it with a BFH. aua

Tools needed:
1-1/2" box wrench
Vise-grips
Screwdriver
Hi-Lift Jack
Length of Chain w/ 2T Clevis for Jack End (3/8" diameter clevis); can substitute chain for a twisted or straight clevis as I did
8lb Sledgehammer
3lb Mallet / Deadblow Hammer
Cheater bar for box wrench (mine is a chain binder tool from a Semi Supply Shop)

Steps:
1. Remove Cotter Pin & loosen the nut to the end of the threads (small mallet, screwdriver, vise-grips & wrench with cheater bar are utilized here)
2. Remove bottom plate of hi-lift jack and attach clevis to jack
3. Attach chain around the front grip / lifting lug of the trailer (above lunette) and to hi-lift jack (or utilize another clevis)
4. Position jack to "lift" the eye away from the frame (see photo) & put as much pressure on eye as possible with jack (may have to readjust after the first wack of the BFH)
5. Hit the eye with the sledgehammer on each side 2 to 3 times; should pop out within 6 hits (total)
6. Apply some grease and reinstall in desired position

Should take 20 minutes or less to complete the operation if you are quick with the wrench.

Pictures are attached of the tools I utilized and the connection to the trailer. The lunette shown was severely rusted in position and someone busted out the cotter pin and a punch in the hole trying to flip it before it went to GL. That hole is 3/16" diameter if you ever want to clear it with a drill bit. It took me about 2 hours to get to the point where I could start getting the nut removed.

Yes, I do know that I bent the front handle some, if I had gone to a chain around the frame to the jack instead, I doubt I would have bent anything.\

Hope this helps someone with their lunette flip operation with all of the trailers that seem to be going through GL recently (that is if they are not kept stock to work with the Deuce)

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine were pretty easy - a little penatrating oil the day before and 3 or 4 smacks with a hammer on the ring. Didn't even dent the ring. Of course that's unrusted west coast, sunshine state stuff. The 2nd one my son did for me. We greased them up before putting back together to make swapping back easier.

Good write up.

blybrook

Dug,

The first M105A2 lunette flipped in 15 minutes, it was slick and that one came from Ft Richardson near salt water, the one above came from inland AK. I had read about the BFH tactic and heating it up. Another thread reported on utilizing a hydraulic jack, but there wasn't a picture to see how it went. I put a wrench to it, beat on it a few times, then got out the jack to give it a go. I had finished the job before I realized that I didn't take any pictures. So I waited to post this until I had another one to flip. I guess I could have put it back together stock, then taken pictures, but it had already been greased, etc...

Bill

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dug,

The first M105A2 lunette flipped in 15 minutes, it was slick and that one came from Ft Richardson near salt water, the one above came from inland AK. I had read about the BFH tactic and heating it up. Another thread reported on utilizing a hydraulic jack, but there wasn't a picture to see how it went. I put a wrench to it, beat on it a few times, then got out the jack to give it a go. I had finished the job before I realized that I didn't take any pictures. So I waited to post this until I had another one to flip. I guess I could have put it back together stock, then taken pictures, but it had already been greased, etc...

Bill

I'm with you brother - I said "Good write up"

I often forget what a PITA rust is to the non SOCAL folks. :beer:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave away a M103 trailer frame a year or so ago, I wanted to salvage the lunette but couldn't take it off. Guess I was a little late, I could've used this info!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another pretty easy way is to put a thick plate of steel between the crossmember area holding the landing gear and the lunette nut. Shim this up to within a 1/4" of the lunette then back the nut off against the steel plate. Once you apply considerable pressure, whack with hammer.

Last edited:

blybrook

Another pretty easy way is to put a thick plate of steel between the crossmember area holding the landing gear and the lunette nut. Shim this up to within a 1/4" of the lunette then back the nut off against the steel plate. Once you apply considerable pressure, whack with hammer.
I tried this with the first lunette and it didn't want to budge. Then I tried utilizing a couple of splitting wedges to add pressure before backing off the nut & whacking the lunette. Upon getting those tight, I found that I was busting out the welds and steel holding the landing gear bracket (metal fatigue failure). So I've got some repair work to do if I'm ever going to utilize a landing gear again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks