• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-62 Anyone?

ThatXJGuy

I found an old M-62 in a salvage yard in southwestern Wyoming (Outside Kemmerer). I asked and he said he was asking 4,000 OBO but I think he just really threw the number out and would probably be pretty flexible. It has a very large Detroit engine that I don't know much about but the guy claims it has less than 50 hours on it before the truck was parked due to insurance costs. It looks like a 2 stroke Detroit to me but I know very little about those. I think that's not a bad place to start on price but I already have an M-62... I am hopefully going back to pick up another truck in the next two weeks so I could look at specifics of the truck if anybody wants. Sorry I didn't take very many pictures but I was being eaten alive by mosquitos... I got 17 bites in like 20 minutes.
20150615_131602.jpg IMG_20150615_131122.jpgIMG_20150615_131126.jpgIMG_20150615_131133.jpgIMG_20150615_131205.jpgIMG_20150615_131330.jpgIMG_20150615_131426.jpgIMG_20150615_131447.jpgIMG_20150615_131512.jpg

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for taking those mosquito bites for the team!

That looks like a blower hanging off the passenger side of the engine! What a cool truck! Thanks for posting!

Rick

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Detroits are certainly an interesting 2 stroke beast, and yes the blower is pretty cool to! BUT what is with that hood assembly? Cool truck but that hood is enough to make a MOM turn and run!
KK

ThatXJGuy

Haha that's funny you should mention the hood because although I agree that it is the ugliest hood ever, its the same one my truck has except the headlights are lower. Its nice to have the tilt hood but its as ugly as ugly gets. Its a pretty solid looking truck although I dislike some of the modifications like the rollers for the rear winch and the front bumper and hood.

XJ Guy, are you wanting to buy the truck or are you putting it out there for others? I am just to the north of you. If you want help recovering the truck let me know. I have the slave cables to jump a truck and lots of free time.

ThatXJGuy

I don't have the spare time or money for it, and it would be tough talking my wife into a second M-62! I was putting it out there in case anybody else wanted it, and looking back I guess I could have made that a lot more clear.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't Boyce Equipment retro fit trucks with fiberglass hoods years ago? Seems like Boyce and Memphis did a bunch of them many years ago.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck is worth about $2K to $2500 in scrap value, I'd offer $3K and see what he says. Odds are you meet in the middle, and it'd still be a fair deal IMHO. The M-62 wrecker was a beast and earned its keep throughout the Cold War.

That hood is definitely a Memphis product. Looks stupid, but it does work.

Someone save it!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd offer scrap price or less first. They still have to do a lot of work just to scrap it and you will save them time and work. Good luck in your next money pit.

ThatXJGuy

He isn't going to scrap it I don't think, its a "ran when parked" truck his company used to use. When I asked about another trucks danger of being scrapped he said he would leave it as a lawn ornament before he would cut up a running truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks