• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-813 5 ton won't downshift

my blood flows OD

OK, here goes. I know I'm going to take a lot of ribbing for this. But I can't get my new m-813 to down shift at all without serve grind. I can shift right thru the gears on the way up. But can't get it to down shift at all. Is there a clutch adjustment?
I'm assuming this is just user error.
So maybe just a few pointers and some practice is all I need.
The accelerator pedal is slow to return witch doesn't help. I kindda toe hook it to pull it back up.
I had no issues driving my m-35a2. I could use that tranny like a race car. I hardly ever used the brakes in the m-35a2 and that is the way I like to drive. I got to the point with that truck that I almost never used the clutch.

my blood flows OD

I've tried with the clutch and without the clutch. I spoke with Ron (73m819) on the phone and he gave me a bunch of thing to try. I'm going to use his advice and free up the throttle pedal and maybe replace the return spring. He also advised me to look for air leaks in the fuel line and I have new fuel filters that I need to install. Aslwell as looking at the clutch thru the inspection cover while an assistant operates the clutch.
I will use his instructions and report back.
any other advice is greatly appreciated.
thank you

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe driving it like a race car is the problem. I take my time let the rpm drop and the truck will let you know when to shift down if all is correct with the truck.
Not using the clutch on a sycro trans. in my .02 is stupid.
If you have never driven a non syncro trans your missing the point.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
From talking to him, I think his problem is that his RPM is NOT dropping, for what ever reason, sticky peddle, bad or no return spring, sucking air are the three main reasons for not dropping RPM when the foot is removed from the peddle, in this case, I think it is one of the first two.

my blood flows OD

I've been real busy the last few days at work and have not had a chance to look at any of the things Ron told me to check in my spare time today I went and loaded up a 5 ton bed and tomorrow I'm taking it down to the Cape to trade it for some 1600-20's. I will get a chance to look at the issues this weekend and I will report back once again thank you Ron for the great advice

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks