• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Alternator. Buy new or rebuild?

azex

Trying to decide whether to find a new one or rebuild "Gen 1" which loads the belt after starting causing horrible belt squealing and even though the truck has 100K on it, both alt pulleys have grooves worn in them from belt slippage.

What y'all think?

D.

o1951

NOS or top quality rebuild only.
I installed a 100 amp replacement from a well known auto parts store. It looked great, windings were identical wire size, fresh and properly consolidated, bearings new and tight...
It worked fine until the first time he turned plow lights on with cabin heater and wipers. Then it smoked and burned out.

Replaced it. Put an ammeter on it and started turning stuff on. At 60 amps, it started smoking. Scraped winding with pocket knife - rewound with ALUMINUM wire!!!
Returned it, and special ordered one rebuilt by Delco - cost more, but we turned everything on, and even added another battery as a load - got to about 90 amps, alternator got a little warm - no smoke - COPPER windings, like OEM.

K9Vic

If you have a good core, rebuilt it. If you have the extra cash buy the complete kit it it pretty much gives you a new alternator less the coil/stator and rotor, but those hardly ever go bad.

I have rebuilt about 8 of them now, really easy once you get the hang of it. Just remember to double check everything before you install it back on. Bolts are tight all around inside before you put the cover back on and the bushing pin holder is removed before you install it back in the truck.

Also, NEVER remove the alternators on either side without disconnecting the battery POS & Neg terminals. I have seen too many stories here where people tried to short cut and fired parts or welded wrenches to engine parts.

Personally, I order from ASP Wholesale as this is where I have always got my parts before CUCV started up. I will probably look into going with CUCV Electric next time I need a kit as they have a more complete one. Hopefully lead time is just as fast as I usually get mine from ASP after they send it in 2-3 days US Priority.

85CUCVtom

A quality core is worth rebuilding. If your unsure of doing it yourself most auto electric shops can do it for you. CUCV Electric has all the parts you need in a rebuild kit.

Last edited:

cucv1833

Rebuild.

I have ordered parts from CUCV Electric. Works great. But I like bringing my stuff to the LOCAL electric/magneto shop in town. They do a good job and its ready the next day working and all cleaned up.

scottladdy

I will probably look into going with CUCV Electric next time I need a kit as they have a more complete one. Hopefully lead time is just as fast as I usually get mine from ASP after they send it in 2-3 days US Priority.
Just bought two dual alt rebuild kits from CUCV Electric, plus 4 replacement relays. Kits are top notch. Had a minor issue with missing inventory. Emailed John, and he jumped on it and sent missing parts expedited, at my door as fast as possible. Great service. FYI.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks