• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 cracked head off starter

irishvin

Ok so I bought this truck back October other than a lil gp issue everything is just fine till 2days ago truck wouldn't start it cranked but wouldn't start so left it on a trickle charger bc I drained the batterys (stupid me) then came oyt this morning it would start again went so went to work came back now trun the key no clicking nothing etarts so look under dam start cracked the head off so took iut wounded what would cause such a problem ... thanks vinny20140122_165253_Fowlerhouse Rd.jpg20140122_165300_Fowlerhouse Rd.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your run on sentence is hard to follow. I had to read it mulitple times.

Either loose starter bolts, missing support bracket or a combination of both.

You may be able to find a replacement nose cone. That is assuming nothing else is wrong with the starter.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the high compression of the 6.2L diesel, if the support bracket isn't install you can break many things. You are lucky it was only the starter.

The missing bracket can break starters, starter bolts and even the block itself. I have one sitting in my garage where the previous owner didn't have the bracket and broke the block. Very expensive mistake.

goldneagle

Get a new gear reduction starter from AMAZON.com. Got mine for $139 with free shipping and 2 year warranty. You will need a different bracket to support it. Should be less than $20 on Ebay. Info is available on my thread. goldneagle M1008 recovery and restoration thread.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He already has a gear reduction. Rebuilding it is tougher than a direct drive. Just needs to find a new nose cone. NAPA maybe?

He does need the correct bracket

goldneagle

He already has a gear reduction. Rebuilding it is tougher than a direct drive. Just needs to find a new nose cone. NAPA maybe?

He does need the correct bracket
"I think the solenoid is bad haven't bench tested yet. and sorry for the run on sentences kinda hard with phone " quote from him. I did not look closely at the starter. I just looked at it again and I see ware on the gear that contacts the flywheel. My opinion is that replacing it with a new one is the best choice. $139 isn't going to kill him. He can always get the old one rebuilt and keep it as a backup or sell it.

Baer

When I bought my CUCV I was told it would need a starter someday. So I bought a new starter on E-bay but put off that someday but now I think that day is here, slow cranking and draining the batteries in two attempts to start at 10 seconds each. Any last minute words of wisdom before I crawl under that thing?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack up the truck as the axle/wheel stays on the ground. It allows move room for the starter to clear the front drive shaft.

Use the correct factory starter bolts and make sure you have the correct support bracket.

Here is a picture of the broken block because of a missing bracket.If you look closely the starter bolts are broken off.

block1.JPGblock2.JPG

Last edited:

irishvin

I would suggest checking very cucv anybody gets ... so far both my trucks didn't have brackets and both had stater problems. M1009 better m1008 but yeah definitely check and double check the bracket. one thing bruned into the back of my head now lol

goldneagle

Jack up the truck as the axle/wheel stays on the ground. It allows move room for the starter to clear the front drive shaft.

Use the correct factory starter bolts and make sure you have the correct support bracket.

Here is a picture of the broken block because of a missing bracket.If you look closely the starter bolts are broken off.

View attachment 474155View attachment 474156
There is no way to know if those were the proper starter bolts. Maybe they were replacement bolts that did not meet spec's.

irishvin

well i order a new 28mt 24v GR starter, new bracket and new starter bolts thanks guys for the help spent only $126 on eveything not bad from what i was searching for everything
thanks again guys for the help

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news. Glad we could help.

There is no way to know if those were the proper starter bolts. Maybe they were replacement bolts that did not meet spec's.
Actually the broken bolts where in the floorboard. They where factory bolts with the knurled shaft.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks