• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 ideas (paint, gears, lift & tires)

landry1

Im am doing my m1008 over for my senior project in order to graduate high school. I would like to paint my truck a solid green or keep it camo but which ever I do I have to repaint it. I am going to put a 4 inch lift in with 33" or 35" or maybe even a 6 inch lift. Also I would like to put an overdrive kit in or put a 4l80 tranny in. If anyone sees this who has done over a m1008 please send pics or ideas for my truck.

JerseyMud609

id say solid green, 6 inc lift and what ever tires you want. thats kinda my plani for my 1028, shes geting 6 inc lift, militay black paint, and 36/12.50/60.5 humve rims and tires. best of louck with the truck. o any wants you jump tire size that much you wont need overdrive

Leprechaun

Banned
If you are driving it on the street, 4 inch lift MAX. Remember tall things tend to fall over. If you are going to a bigger tire change to a offset wheel. Otherwise stay stock keep it like it was built. Lift kits and bigger tires can be dangerous if used on the street.

flippydidit

Bigger tires need clearance. If you are going with larger tires, a lift kit might not be enough. Fender trimming can help, but if you don't want anything bigger than 35" tires, you shouldn't have to worry about much trimming. Remember to check for your tires rubbing, and that bigger tires put more stress on steering components.

ralbelt

My plan is all green carc.I have the rear box off, wire wheeled and power washed the chassis and primed and sprayed black. Intend on rino lining the cab floor and inside the box. Will be filling and priming a few dents and prep for paint in the next few weeks. Mechanically plans are to leave stock but I would like to see yours if you lift it.

DeuceNewb

with a 6" lift you should be running bigger than 35's or it will look goofy. stock 33's 4" is good for 35's but a 6 is better for 38's otherwise you're too tall with small tires

AJMBLAZER

If you are driving it on the street, 4 inch lift MAX. Remember tall things tend to fall over. If you are going to a bigger tire change to a offset wheel. Otherwise stay stock keep it like it was built. Lift kits and bigger tires can be dangerous if used on the street.
So much wrong in this post it's not even funny.:roll:

landry1

I think I am going to do a 4" lift, 35s, paint it that Sherwin Williams' CARC paint, and maybe put a 12v cummins in with 5 speed tranny, and cherry bomb glasspacks

bbqfan5909

Depending on how long you want the paint to hold up, I would suggest Urethane Automotive paint...Sherwin Williams paint is cheap! This is what we spray commercial metal buildings with and will hold up for 5 years before chalking or fading (and its only 5% fade each year). Or if you 10 years, use Kynar based paint...it will cost 450 a gallon, but will hold up.

Leprechaun

Banned
I didn't know we were talking about YOUR rig in this post, My bad sorry. Most of our 50 states have laws against lift kits, If its offroad go crazy if its on the street and a car goes under you in an accident well you get it.

AJMBLAZER

Yeah...again you're wrong. Most states have laws governing the modification of suspensions (up and down) but none actually have laws against lift kits. In some states there is no height requirements, only that they be safe.

It's a given that all recommendations on a forum like this are subject to local laws.

Again, your answers have so far been pretty pathetic and blatantly wrong. Sorta like half truths heard repeated too many times.

"Tall things tend to fall over." Yep, so do short things. A properly built truck is no more likely to fall over than a stock truck. Drive it like a truck and you'll be fine.

"Change to an offset wheel". I'm assuming you mean wider wheel? Changing the backspace (the proper term) is only necessary when adding wheel width can no longer keep the tire off of the components under the truck. However doing this puts it closer to the fender when turning.

"Lift kits and bigger tires can be dangerous if used on the street." Right...because all these folks have been hurt by modified trucks. I remember there being a push to stop modifications in the 90's but yeah, it fizzled. Stuff like this still gets brought up but SEMA always alerts us enthusiasts about it locally and it generally either fizzles or goes away completely due to the rampant stupidity of this sort of law.

If a vehicle is safely modified then it should be no less safe than it was in stock form. In fact, especially on these trucks, there are some modifications EVERYONE can do that make them safer and better to drive. Stock almost never = perfect. Stock = a balance of cheap to make, cheaper to sell, easy to make, and pleasing to the broad customer demographics.
Booty fab modifications are just that, booty fab crap and are universally derided, mocked, and hopefully have something done about. Most of us in the "modifying our trucks" crowd would rather do something the right way than the wrong way and will gladly spread the word on how to do it right. Hence him asking here and those of us who actually might know what we're talking about giving him advice on how to do stuff the right way.

I invite you to come over to Colorado K5 - Full-Size GM 4x4 Restoration and Off Road Community and take a gander around. 75% of the trucks over there are road legal and perfectly safe to operate while very few of them are stock, some VERY FAR from stock.

Jeesh, are you the next ace? Going to sit here and post up on every modification thread about how it should be left stock?:roll:

Oh, and show me an example of where a properly built truck that was involved in an accident was used AGAINST the driver. People do worry about this thing but no one's ever had proof that it has happened.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks