• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 replacement parts

flippydidit

Hey guys,

Just got an M1008 and I want to change out the front and rear shocks. I also have a fuel gauge issue, but I'm thinking it's probably an old wiring harness and not the sending unit. While I have the wheels off to do the shocks, I was going to put some bigger tires on it. What kind of set up for my rig (shocks and tires) would you choose and why? Bear in mind that while I will be using it for 4x4, the majority of driving will be highway and pulling a BIG 5th wheel travel trailer. Also, are there converters for trailer lighting/brakes that will step down from 24v to 12v? Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide. I don't have many posts on these forums because I'm too busy reading what you guys say and then writing it down so I don't forget it.

Nate
"Flippy"

mangus580

Nate....

Tires.... with the 4.56 gears... the bigger you can fit the better

Shocks... Standard setup for same year 1 Ton Chevy

Trailer lighting... No converter needed, just wire for the pinout you need. Only thing in your 1008 that is 24v is the starter and glow plug systems.

AJMBLAZER

Bilsteins are great but oy, expensive. Save them for when you lift it.

NAPA's regular truck shocks are actually nitrogen charged and $26 each.

Croatan_Kid

4wheelparts.com has a shock special. You can get 4 nitrogen charged ES9000 ProComp shocks and an ES2000 steering stabilizer for like 150 bucks.

jumpmasterjim

Re: RE: M1008 replacement parts

CCATLETT1984 said:
for shocks I have heard great things from the bilstein shocks.
go with a nitrogen charged shock for sure, much better ride.
I've bought 4 sets for my I bought them online @friends and my 1009 and they kick butt! surprising what a difference they made.

86M10086.2L

285 75 16's are probably the biggest your gonna get on stock GM rims. Some tire shops will let you go to like 305, but depending on the tire you run into crowning issues. with the 285's you can get BF Goodrich all terains in a E rated version so it works for towing and off road which is what you said you are doing. On top of that the E rated ones are slightly taller than the d rated ones, not by alot but enough to make a difference. Thats what I'm probably gonna use on my truck. I have a set of 33x12.50.16.5 on some old slotted aluminum mags I got off craigs list, but the 285 all terains are actually taler and cheaper to replace so I'm probably gonna use them to keep the military look of the truck. I know there are a few guys here with Michelin XL's and similar tires installed on the stock rims, but the 285's are about the biggest you can go without either different rims/lift or fender trimming.

AJMBLAZER

Who told you that the rating had anything to do with tire height? Has nothing to do with tire height, just the internal construction of the tire.

Actually a D rated tire could easily handle anything these trucks can tow and/or haul.

You also might consider a 255/85R16. Tend to be taller than a 285/75R16 and have heavier load ratings...but not always.

However if you want to go highway speeds 33" tall tires aren't going to tame the gears enough. 35's at a minimum and 36-38's are perfect without an OD gear. Time to either lift it or cut it.

86M10086.2L

if you look on BF Goodrich's site they have a chart with all the specs on idividual tires. and if you compare the E rated all terrains to the D rated all terrains in that size the E's have a greater overall tire height. Only about 2 or 3 tenths of a inch but a clear diffence. About as much of a difference as seen in different models of the same tire size. Plus I was only talking about the BF Goodrich all terains, not tires in general. And I only knew that because I was looking at them myself. Yes D's are good for most chores done with these trucks, but the truck came with E's and if I were pulling a fifth wheel, I'd want the E's just for the peace of mind and in most cases they don't cost much more so when in Rome.... but thats just me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks