• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 3-wheeler?

Monkeyboyarmy

I knew that you could do this with a mule but I had to try it with a M1009.

Friday afternoon I towed this cucv back to Ohio from Va.. I forgot to throw one of the bosses spare tires in the back before I left. These flat tow very well and I had no issues until the left front tire blew out.....at 1:00 in the morning. I was about 4 miles from the next exit on Rt 79 in Pa and about 55 miles from home. All that I was armed with was a bottle jack,a scissor jack and a pair of ratchet straps. I wanted to at least get it off of the freeway and go after a spare tire. So I went for broke.

First picture is of the tire that exploded at 65 mph. The steering wheel turned to the left and jerked me sideways a bit but nothing too exciting.

First I removed the left rear tire and let the axle down on a spare battery that I had. Then I changed the left front tire with it.I went back to the left rear and jacked it up again to lift the axle as high as possible. I strapped it up with one of the ratchet straps.(pic. 2) I let the axle back down and it fell solidly on the ground. So next I jacked the left front frame up and wedged a milspec scissor jack between the spring and frame.(pic 3) Still not good to go. So I jacked up the right front axle and used a strap to compress it. (pic 4).Getting closer but not enough. So then I jacked up the right rear frame and found a bolt that was about the right length to wedge between the spring and frame. (pic5) And that was it. Left rear drum was about 2 inches off the ground.I threw couple of lugs on the left drum, locked the steering wheel straight and put everything away.

Now this was the short story. It took over 2 hours to accomplish because of the travel of the bottle jack and going back and forth.

Off I go.Traffic was light so I took it easy. I had a semi truck coming up on me and I increased my speed to 45. Everything felt good. I made the next exit without a problem and decided to take the back roads toward home. The drum bumped the road a couple of times but I drove the last 50 miles at about 40 mph. Got home at 4:15 am. Ohh and by the way,it started raining at about 3 am. But it all worked out. I wonder if I could do the same thing with a deuce?

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, good man. When most of us would have just called it a day. You put your thinking cap on and 'got 'er done'

can't do any better than that - these ARE tough trucks

and people wonder why I carried two spares

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have used a log as a spare tire.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHvcRHCcGNo[/media]

It is an approved method in the military recovery manual

FM 20-22

59. The Skid
When the driver finds himself in an isolated
area with a flat tire or bad wheel and does not
have the equipment to repair it, a skid may be

used if the vehicle is of the 4-wheel-drive type.
The skid should be used on the rear wheel (fig.
56). (Wheels can be changed from one hub to
another to accomplish this.) A pole approximately
4 inches in diameter and 6 to 8 feet long
should be used. One end of the pole should be
placed above the frame crossmember near the
transmission and the other end on the ground.
The pole should pass under the spring U-bolts,
aline with the spring, and be lashed securely to
the spring. The pole will then support the weight
of the vehicle on the side with the defective wheel.
By engaging the front wheel drive, the vehicle
will move under its own power. Starting may be
difficult, but once the vehicle is moving, it will
ride and handle surprisingly well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you were using the towbar from he77 you wouldn't have had that problem. There would have been so much weight hanging in front of the front tires, the rears would have barely touched the road. LOL. Actually its easy to do with a deuce.

Monkeyboyarmy

Looks like I'll bring a chainsaw instead of a spare next time.rofl
PATRACY is correct. Hutchinson bead lock....made in taiwan :x
That is my "X" Border Patrol truck. Same 'enhanced mobility pakage' as the CUCVIII's. Duramax,Allison,skid plates,jounce shocks,dual alts,brush gaurd,beadlocks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the log idea!

I think with 40 miles to go, I would have run it on the rim, just swappped the blow-out to the rear.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I knew that you could do this with a mule but I had to try it with a M1009.

Friday afternoon I towed this cucv back to Ohio from Va.. I forgot to throw one of the bosses spare tires in the back before I left. These flat tow very well and I had no issues until the left front tire blew out.....at 1:00 in the morning. I was about 4 miles from the next exit on Rt 79 in Pa and about 55 miles from home. All that I was armed with was a bottle jack,a scissor jack and a pair of ratchet straps. I wanted to at least get it off of the freeway and go after a spare tire. So I went for broke.

First picture is of the tire that exploded at 65 mph. The steering wheel turned to the left and jerked me sideways a bit but nothing too exciting.

First I removed the left rear tire and let the axle down on a spare battery that I had. Then I changed the left front tire with it.I went back to the left rear and jacked it up again to lift the axle as high as possible. I strapped it up with one of the ratchet straps.(pic. 2) I let the axle back down and it fell solidly on the ground. So next I jacked the left front frame up and wedged a milspec scissor jack between the spring and frame.(pic 3) Still not good to go. So I jacked up the right front axle and used a strap to compress it. (pic 4).Getting closer but not enough. So then I jacked up the right rear frame and found a bolt that was about the right length to wedge between the spring and frame. (pic5) And that was it. Left rear drum was about 2 inches off the ground.I threw couple of lugs on the left drum, locked the steering wheel straight and put everything away.

Now this was the short story. It took over 2 hours to accomplish because of the travel of the bottle jack and going back and forth.

Off I go.Traffic was light so I took it easy. I had a semi truck coming up on me and I increased my speed to 45. Everything felt good. I made the next exit without a problem and decided to take the back roads toward home. The drum bumped the road a couple of times but I drove the last 50 miles at about 40 mph. Got home at 4:15 am. Ohh and by the way,it started raining at about 3 am. But it all worked out. I wonder if I could do the same thing with a deuce?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can, but not in place of the 4 tires you need:twisted:roflroflrofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks