• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 4x4 indictor light question

vinny-socom1

Can anybody tell me if the 4x4 indicator light has its own fuse? mine was not working so I bought the swicth on the TC but its still not working? have I missed something? could the new swicth be bad..whats the best way to diag this. I swapped out the dash bulb with a new one so I do not think its a bulb.
there are white & black wires going to it, is one suppose to have 12v and the other ground? I traced the wires up to the dash but it goes behind the heater box and then into the harness.

any help would be great

Vinny

vinny-socom1

I looked at both of these threads before I posted neither one has the same issue as mine, this is why I posted.

I changed the switch, still does not work traced the wires no cuts or pinchs

can anybody tell me if the white wire is to have 12v and if the black wire is to be the ground

I'm thinking the switch keeps the cricuit open until its engaged them closed which feeds the light. Does this sound right?

Vinny

Grega

I would think the black would be hot and white, ground. Check with test light. Might try to ground the switch to see if the indicator lights up. And Sometimes those twist light sockets can cause a person grief. Take the oil pressure light twist socket and install in the 4 wheel indicator to see if you might have a bad socket.

ChiefMinion

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the diagram...

The black wire from the switch goes to ground. It has been my experience that black wires on my M1009 are generally ground. Obviously, that is a generalization that should be confirmed with the appropriate diagram in every case.

The diagrams can be a little intimidating at first, but stick with it. Read the instructions for reading the diagrams in the TM(s). There is a lot of information there.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiring diagram doesn't show the complete circuit.

Does your Gen1 and oil pressure idiot light work? How about the heater fan? They all share the same fuse.

Here is the circuit path

From ignition switch via 3 ORN 300 to the top fuse
Top fuse to PIN #5 of the instrument cluster plug
( this is not shown on any diagram)
From PIN #5 on the circuit board to the 4x4 bulb
From the bulb to PIN #4
From PIN#4 to the switch via .8 WHT 156b
From the switch to ground via .8 BLK 150R

So the white wire should be hot when the key is on and grounds when the switch is closed thus lighting the indicator

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a good chance that you need to remove the instrument cluster and clean/repair the circuit board.

vinny-socom1

FIXED after removing the dash, bezel & cluster I found that the light socket to circuit board was corroded. So we did a complete overhaul today. Pulled the cluster apart cleaned and paint the inside housing and back side of the metal bezel with some chrome paint. Replaced all the bulbs. Clean all the gages, connectors, dash ash tray, glove box...well everything on the dash!! WOW what a difference, dash light are really bright now, I would recommend this to everybody.

sorry no pics was alot of work to get done in one day...

Vinny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks